2500 AD New Strategic Rules

With the blessing of @bandy, I present the new strategic rules system, which covers the military, economic, and research issues. The system is open-information- with the exception of diplomatic backstabbing and backroom dealing, all information- current fleet positions, construction orders, and research levels will be open for everyone to see.

To start, every player receives 10 population, 8 Industrial Complexes, and 2 Laboratories. If 8 Industrial Complexes exceeds the carrying capacity of their solar body, or if they do not have a solar body, they receive Mobile Industrial Complexes for each one beyond capacity. Players without a celestial body as their starting base receive one free Megastation.

Players receive a Wonder of their choosing for their primary base, without regard to the technological requirements.

Players receive 60 IC to spend on a one-time instantaneous construction period.

By the end of the week you must have selected your wonder, and spent your IC, compiling the necessary information into a concise message which must be posted in this thread with a GM tagged. If you fail to do so your IC will be spent for you on whatever entertains the GMs.

No fleet movements will be submitted until the next week, when the first official “turn” or “period” of play will begin.

I encourage you to read the entirety of the new rules, which are located here, including a map of the solar system.

Please notify me of any questions you have or inconsistencies you spot.

In the future I will be handling fleet movements and combat that occurs within the RP.

3 Likes

I recommend allowing nations to change their starting GE/ME/TS balances to reflect the new bonuses.

1 Like

Ask @bandy

1 Like

it’s good with me
everything is flexible this week I think

4 Likes

Forgot to take it out before adding the tech bonuses at the bottom, sorry.

1 Like

Colonists must be created through IC, the reason being that it’s primarily about the training and equipment needed rather than simply the bodies.

Three colonists is the minimum for establishing an industrial economy on another solar body.
“taking control” is a political question.

1 Like

I want the planetary fortress.

Though would it be possible wonders more customized to our locations?

1 Like

Several questions after reading this:

• To clarify, this superseed any previously stated rules about production/research and such right?
  • How do the industrial complex limit for celestial body works with station? (for example for Aurora station, the considered radius is different by a factor of around 20 depending on wether you count the solar sail or not)
  • Does that mean that if you reach the limit for your celestial body/station, you have no choice but to expand in order to keep growing?
  • IC cannot be accumulated, but can you build a large project for which you do not have the instantaneous IC over multiple periods?
  • Are Megastations built with a starting population or do you have to supply the colonists for an additional cost after building it?
  • It appears to me like the only way to defend a non-celestial body installation (cough space station cough) is with a fleet? Can we have special “ground units” for stations like that would serve to defend it (like different weapon arrays or similar construct,with the general rule of “the station does not directly engage in combat and can only be attacked after the destruction of all near friendly units” staying the same)

Now for more general comments: for now almost every-single technological upgrades are military bonuses, I think more bonuses oriented toward production, research or population happiness would be good.

Also for large project, I think a “Hypergate” project could be cool, which would consist of a two linked building allowing near-instantaneous travel between them.

1 Like

Yes.­

1 Like

Yes.

Stations require mobile Industrial Complexes, but they can be host to unlimited populations which can supply the labor necessary for Industrial Complexes within the same tile.

You can build Mobile Industrial Complexes and keep them in orbit- essentially space industry.

These projects are non-formal and to be negotiated with the GMs

Megastations do not come with any population.

Megastations can host land units, but you can’t build bunkers. To take a station you have to invade just like invading a celestial body, and fight via land units. HOWEVER standard Megastations are also vulnerable to being destroyed outright by enemy naval attack (if they can muster the firepower to blow through 8 HP in a single engagement), but all population, research laboratories, and wonders will be lost. This would probably also be considered a genocidal crime against humanity.

This is the trade-off for being mobile and not built into a titanic rock. There may be moon-sized stations in the future available via special projects that cannot be obliterated by conventional means, but that’s up to the GMs.

1 Like

For the record, because of orbital mechanics, planets are for the most part better spaceships than giant stations :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

talk to the GMs about attaching propulsion systems to planets then lol

1 Like

@Ricky
1 Cruisers
1 Corvette
4 Infantry
1 Industrial Complex
1 Trade Network (to Titania)
Grand Bazaar

6 spare IC for population Upkeep

1 Like

Realized that the math was such that many would be unable to get their industry off the ground without pooling resources. Therefore I have added a way to store resources over more than one turn via building Supply Caches.

Supply Cache:
Cost: 2
HP: 1
S: Sacrifice to gain 1 IC during your income phase. Cannot participate in combat with other units.

1 Like

Nah, precisely because they already orbit the Sun quite fast, planets have a great mobility advantage over any interplanetary spaceship; Hohmann transfer orbits are very long and precise maneuvers. (Also, heading toward the Sun is the costliest maneuver of them all, almost twice as costly as exiting the solar system)

1 Like
1 Like

How exactly does production over multiple turns work? Is it just like Civ V or something where each turn your total production is is added to the cost? 5/20 > 10/20 > 15/20 > complete?

1 Like

After talking about transfer orbits I just realized that if we are somewhat realistic it would be near impossible for a standard space ship to approach Aurora Station and stay near it, because of its nature as a static structure which means that the ship would either have to orbit the Sun and thus only occasionally pass-by the station at high speed, or orbit the station which would not only be difficult because of the small mass of it compared to a planet or moon, and also because it would mean that the ship would at some point have to go between the station’s solar sail and the Sun, which would be a death sentence for any ship that is not either covered in mirrors (which would send it violently crashing into the solar solar sail because of radiation pressure that close to the Sun) or have an exceptional amount of radiation shielding coupled with thermal shielding and ways to quickly radiate large amount of heat (hint, usually antithetic with a radiation shield)…

1 Like

@Ricky
Not sure if i’m supposed to post this but:

1 Industrial Complex, static (15)
1 Destroyer (12)
1 Corvette (4)
1 Cruiser (16)
1 Transport (7)
1 Colonist (4)

Wonder: Solar Cathedral

Total cost - 58

EDIT @Ricky can I also invest in TS-7 pls.

3 Likes

Could you fly past at orbital speed and eject an object at a speed equal to the orbital velocity in a slightly higher position from the sun so it would fall into the space station?

1 Like