Active suspension

I want to find out about the possibility of putting active suspension on my stang. Here’s the problem, I have a vert, so there are two square tubes mounted under the length of the car for extra support. I would like to lower my car 1 1/2" from stock, but I will have clearance issuses in certain places. I would like to be able to change the ride height without getting out of my vehicle and I’m not sure how. Airbags? then I have to worry about a tank or compressor. Hydrolics? I’m not sure what that entails… I need Help, I’ve searched without finding any good info. Without being able to change my ride hieght, I will be forced to leave it stock.

Tim, I think you’re getting in over your head here.

The subframe connectors are the square tubes under the car. And if you haven’t changed those to an aftermarket set do that now. The first time I really laid into my car, it tweaked the whole thing, and my top doesn’t fit right anymore. So get on that. Anything is better than the stock ones.

As far as changing the ride height…Well, airbags are your best bet, but it’s really not worth. Theres a lot of cutting involved and air tanks…Blah blah blah. Not to mention, either bags or hydros will kill the way it rides. It’s really not a good idea on a Mustang.

Just buy some springs, and lower that bitch. You’ll be much happier that way. And you saved $5000.

you’d have to use some sort of airbag to do that… hydraulics are out of the question, their not practical for what your wanting. it shouldnt be very expensive to do an airbag setup but yea you’d need a tank and compressor… it’d be cheaper and easier though to get something like coil-overs on the front and adj lower control arms in the rear… for a few hundred bucks you’d have yourself a better ride, more traction, and complete adjustability of ride height. Add adj shocks and struts and you can go from drag to street to road race in a matter of a few minutes… unfortunately all those options require you to do it from outside or under the car.

Ok, I see what you guys are saying, but there are systems out there that control stability and traction by adjusting the ride hieght to each of the four wheels independently. I think Volvo was testing it some of thier vehicles, it allowed for a much smoother ride while pulling greater G’s in the corners. If you ever saw a car with it going through a slolum course, it looks like a powerboat cutting curves, the vehicle leans opposite of what you would expect. As a matter of fact, active suspension works so well, that is was deemed illegal in CART and INDY as it was too much of an unfair advantage. It is this type of system that I am interested in learning about and if there are any aftermarket systems available. I also know that Land Rover has active suspension and you can change the ride height with the push of a button (city/off-road driving)

The vetttes have it too I think… Im not sure whats involved in their systems but my guess would be airbags and coilovers.

Sounds expensive to me.

My new Tahoe has “air Ride”. It’s very cool and it’s the smoothest riding truck I’ve ever owned. But I have no manual control over it. It’s factory set.

What’s “air ride”?

It’s a GM option. It uses gas shocks all the way around with bags built right into the shocks. They look like normal shock but a little girthier. The responce time for filling and releasing is instantaneous and very quiet. You have to really listen to even hear it. It senses passanger and cargo weight as well as lean in cornering.

The Vettes don’t use air bags. They are magnets. It’s some crazy fluid that when you put power to the magnets, it fills the shock making the ride harder or softer. It’s all done by the computer…Hence the reason I can’t explain exactly how it works.

But I do know that the fluid they fill the shocks with is $500/qt.

:o

[quote=sidewayz4.6]The Vettes don’t use air bags. They are magnets. It’s some crazy fluid that when you put power to the magnets, it fills the shock making the ride harder or softer. It’s all done by the computer…Hence the reason I can’t explain exactly how it works.

But I do know that the fluid they fill the shocks with is $500/qt.[/quote]

I’ll take 2 :rock