An Algebra BS Question

i hate Algebra and my friend asked me to help her with this.

heres the Question

in a certain triangle, the second side is one-third of the first side in length. The third side is 2 meters less then the 1st side. The perimeter of the triangle is 26 meters. Form an algebraic equasion to express the problem.

Heeeelp lol

Sheesh, I don’t remember any of my Math.

Is it a right triangle?

In a certain triangle, the sencond side is one third of the first - JustAnswer

The first thing a newbie should do is draw a triangle, and label the sides, the label then becomes a variable

For instance side A

A+(sq)B/C=

Etc. You need variable and knowns

He asked for help expressing that in algebraic terms folks

Haus…for you, I’ll write the equation and draw the diagram that expresses the variables

X=1st side
X + X/3 + (X-2) = 26 Meters.

Fucking picture issues…

C would have to be side 1 in your example because side 1 is the longest side by 2 meters.

I simply drew a triangle to show him the variable on it…It was never meant to be “Anatomically correct”

and I took the time to do that, take a picture, and upload it for the kid:D

[quote=“BadBoy@TheWheel, post: 1089240”]The first thing a newbie should do is draw a triangle, and label the sides, the label then becomes a variable

For instance side A

A+(sq)B/C=

Etc. You need variable and knowns[/quote]
:ninja…ermmm anyone else find that sexy?

[quote=“BadBoy@TheWheel, post: 1089247”]I simply drew a triangle to show him the variable on it…It was never meant to be “Anatomically correct”

and I took the time to do that, take a picture, and upload it for the kid:D[/quote]

I was just noticing you drew a right triangle and labeled it correctly as A, B, & C. The C side being the hypotenuse would be longest. I guess I was just being a smart ass.
:smiley:

[quote=“AUFred, post: 1089249”]I was just noticing you drew a right triangle and labeled it correctly as A, B, & C. The C side being the hypotenuse would be longest. I guess I was just being a smart ass.
:D[/quote]

Hey pal…At least I drew a triangle for him:p

I didn’t make the little symbol for Hyp., and it’s certainly not to scale:D

But I wanted him to vsiaulize the concept of making equations, I wasn’t going to make his brain explode with Trig:willy_nilly:

One things for certain…You and I cam to the same conclusion…And are hereby the OTZ tutorz:D:nod:

What are you trying to solve? The equation for the perimeter is X + X/3 + (X-2) = 26. If you need to find X, you’ll find that X = 12.

:ninja My head hurts.

What I used to deal with all the time…

Fluid mechanics

And that’s base level shit…

[quote=“BadBoy@TheWheel, post: 1089253”]What I used to deal with all the time…

Fluid mechanics

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/20/BernoullisLawDerivationDiagram.svg/790px-BernoullisLawDerivationDiagram.svg.png[/quote]

Such pretty blue colors…