Article by Mike Pence on smoking unearthed

I guess this being published sixteen years ago will mean that not too many people are fussed. It is true that since 2000 we’ve discovered a hell of a lot of evidence about smoking’s lethality which may have swayed his opinion - for example, we now know that smoking as a habit will shorten your life by on average ten years, which Pence wouldn’t have known when he wrote this. However, it’s not as if smoking killing people was controversial in 2000 - we’ve known since 1964 that there is a clear link between smoking and lung cancer.

Either way, I still find this article quite amusing. This part in particular:

“Despite the hysteria from the political class and the media, smoking doesn’t kill. In fact, 2 out of every three smokers does not die from a smoking related illness and 9 out of ten smokers do not contract lung cancer.”

Firstly, these statistics are almost certainly outdated, since we keep on finding new ways in smoking can harm people. It seems like new diseases associated with it are discovered every year. Currently, it’s estimated that 20% of deaths in the USA each year are caused by smoking.

But, even if Pence’s statistics were still correct, given that ~37 million people in the USA smoke, what he’s saying is that 12.3 million people die from smoking each year and 3.7 million will contract lung cancer, but that this isn’t a problem.

This is the Vice President of the United States of America…

Well, yeah…it’s an outdated article

Not surprising, a lot of Trump supporters don’t like Pence, he’s only VP because it appeases the Crazy Christian Conservatives™ that were riding Cruz and means if someone goes and knocks off Trump, we would have to deal with Mr. Christian Sharia.
Everything he does is meant to suck up to the party, this probably included.

I would probably guess that his opinions have changed. Yet at the same time this article should be considered. I cannot think of a good reason for him to bother writing this article, unless he was paid to do it.

American Republicans politicians need to appeal to the Libertarians. Besides this is 16 years ago.

*cough
Hillary changes her opinion from 20 years ago, so she’s a liar.
Pence changes his opinion from 16 years ago, but it’s normal.

Besides, we’ve known that smoking kills thousands of people every year since the 60’s. Why change his opinion if he denied the clear evidence beforehand? Perhaps it’s as @John and @Chucklenuts said - he’s appeasing certain opinions rather than voicing his own.

Well, why are you telling me that? I don’t think she’s a liar because she changes her opinion. I think she’s a liar because she’s a successful politician, and all successful politicians (including Pence) are liars.

To be fair to you that 20% stat was known in 2000 as well…

https://www.orau.gov/cdcynergy/web/ba/Content/activeinformation/example-smoking.htm

[Quote]
One in every five deaths in the United States is smoking related (CDC, 1999).
[/Quote]

Eh, bit cynical, but probably not too far off the truth.