Bad cough/cold question

Anyone know what helps for a baby (1 year old) with a bad cough. Kylies coming down with her worst cold yet. If her nose isnt running like crazy every five seconds…its so dried up she still cant breath. Plus to boot shes got a horrid cough especially at night. She can barely sleep. The past few days Ive been using the vicks vapor rub for babies on her. Which helps but Doesnt work for long. Anyone know something else that works? I hate to see her so miserable.

My niece has croup right now…so we’re thinking that Kylie may have gotten it too. Or at least the bad cough/cold that comes with it

note:

Contagiousness

Croup tends to occur in outbreaks in the winter and early spring when the viruses that usually cause it peak. Many children who come in contact with the viruses that cause croup will not get croup, but will instead have symptoms of a head cold.

Put a blanket between the mattress and box springs (at the end she lays her head) so that gravity helps keep the snot from clogging her whole head up and put a cool mist humidifier right next to her.

[quote=“GraceAbounds, post: 546498”]Put a blanket between the mattress and box springs (at the end she lays her head) so that gravity helps keep the snot from clogging her whole head up and put a cool mist humidifier right next to her.[/quote] she’s propped up already…but we dont have a humidifier to use. ours broke and right now we dont have money to get a new one :frowning:

Call a friend or family member and borrow one.

got that src…it helps at first but not for long

I’d be at the doctor first thing tommorrow morning then.

You can also make a make-shift humidifier by taking a washcloth and putting it under the hottest water you can stand to have your hands in … wring it out completely and stick it under her nose. It will have cooled off enough that it won’t burn her by the time you wring it out, but it will still perform the same way.

Won’t last long … but you’ll get a good 5 minutes out of each time. Just try it a couple times and see if it works.

It really does open up your sinuses.

I’m not gonna promise she’ll let you do it though … but I’ve done it on myself and it works fabulously.

The blanket under the head of the mattress is good, like Grace suggested. Or phone books under the legs of the crib at the head, to get it slightly elevated.

If you don’t have a cool-mist vaporizer available, then go into the bathroom with her, close the door, turn on the shower and get it steamy in there. Let her breathe that in for a while.

Once the mucous is loosened, use a nasal syringe and suction out as much as you can.

If Vicks gives her any relief, use it.

Most medications are not recommended by the manufacturers for a 1 year old unless your child’s pediatrician recommends them. Most pediatricians will usually recommend a product they like to use. Has your daughter’s doctor ever recommended something for her?

I would avoid milk. While it does not increase the production of phlegm, it does make it thicker and more irritating to the throat.

Eucaliptus oil on the pillow, just a few drops is good for a cold though I don’t know if it’s good for babies as it’s poisonous if you lick it. Sorry, can’t help more than that.:frowning: She’s lucky to have such a wonderful and caring mum though!:slight_smile:

[quote=“Breath, post: 546505”]
I would avoid milk. While it does not increase the production of phlegm, it does make it thicker and more irritating to the throat.[/quote]

but how’s a baby supposed to go without milk … it’s what they live off of lol

I am supposing at the age of 1 that she’s eating solids and drinking other liquids in addition to milk. She can go without it until the cold gets better.

you know … I was actually thinking she was 9 months old … time eludes me sometimes LOL

Sure I’ve heard somewhere that milk being bad for a cold is actually a common myth and its actually good for one. Don’t know, guess google could answer that better than me!:wink:

Google it, my dear. Like I said, it does make the phlegm thicker.

she could have rotovirus…i hear theres been an epidemic of that all over the country in small children…this season has been especially bad on everyone…all i keep hearing about is everyone getting sick (myself included). I say get to the dr asap and let him decide whats wrong, and until then load up on baby tylenol and cough meds.

Even baby meds aren’t a good idea to just give unless directed by a doctor … their weight class isn’t registerable for correct dosage per the instructions. Now much you can do for one that young besides take them to a Dr. :frowning:

If she’s really bad off, I might even take her to the ER … with her being a baby … they’ll take her righ tin prolly, not much of a wait.

yeah, if you don’t have the $$$ for a dr, definitely go to an ER or Urgent care center. They will jsut bill you later and you can set up payment plans. they cannot refuse care by law at either of those places. I know most dr offices though will send you away if youd on’t have insurance or $$$. Around here anyway they are like that.

Do you mean rotavirus? If so, that’s severe diarrhea and nothing like a cold. My little brother had it and ended up in the hospital for two nights.

wel I called the doctors…They dont want to see her yet cause she has no temp. They think its just related to my nieces croup. They want to give it a bit but if the cough gets worse…then to bring her in :frowning: I hate her being sick…cause theres nothing i can do about it.

She wound up throwing up last night cause of how congested she is…i almost brought her to the er :frowning: