Best. Easter. Ever

So I went down to Jackson to see my grandparents. When we got there- I dragged my boyfriend along- they gave us both Easter baskets with candy and chocolate! My Nanny and I went through a lot of old things- her grandmother’s hair pins, her sweetheart pin from my Pappy, this really awesome penny Pap carved- he took everything but the rim and Lincoln’s head out. It looks awesome! I got to see a quilt her mother started, it’s just the pieces. She’s says she’s going to finish it and if she doesn’t, then I’ll get it to finish. We went through her old jewelry- I got some bangle bracelets and some gaudy but gorgeous earrings and then she gave me a cameo charm to wear on my wedding day! It was just a very special day!

We had roast, and green beans with bacon drippings, squash casserole, biscuits and “poor man’s potatoes” with strawberry shortcake for dessert. It was divine!

I’m glad you had a great day… and that John went with you :smiley:

I’m so glad for you that you both went and it turned out very special!

Yeah… there was no blood shed in my apartment this morning. He actually got himself out of bed while I was in the shower and told me to hurry up! I was impressed!

Funny how things work out sometimes.

thats awesome. I remember my great gran giving me my great grandfathers watch after he passed when i was like 10./ I miss going to my great grandmothers house. She used to live on the coast, though she moved up north to be closer to her daughter my grandmother’s sister, technically my great aunt but we never talk to her.

Sounds great especially the menu

Oh my gosh- there was cheese and onions and bacon in the squash! I was in heaven! Oh my gosh.

except for the onion it sound’s delicious.

All sounds like good old Southern fare.

I even had grits for breakfast because I woke up starving. I am loathe to admit I microwaved them, but I didn’t have a clean pot to cook them in, and I was in a hurry. I need to buy some real grits. And some bacon because they would have been much much better with bacon crumbled up in them! I’ve been depriving myself for too long. I need some fried veggies and some sweet potatoes for dinner tonight. And I know just the place to get them…

Ajax Diner at HollyEats.com

oooh… I have real center cut bacon in the fridge i should cook some for dinner.

I like cheese grits with fried fish.

Cheese grits. I am drooling over here! Fried ocra, fried squash, fried zucchini, red beans and rice, cheese grits, gumbo, cornbread, blackberry cobbler- my dad’s mom made the BEST cobbler from scratch!

It all sounds so good I don’t even care how much weight I’d gain from it!

I do not like grits… I have pictures to prove it… hold still!

[quote=“HottyToddyChick, post: 1092237”]Cheese grits. I am drooling over here! Fried ocra, fried squash, fried zucchini, red beans and rice, cheese grits, gumbo, cornbread, blackberry cobbler- my dad’s mom made the BEST cobbler from scratch!

It all sounds so good I don’t even care how much weight I’d gain from it![/quote]

bad girl me too

trying to choke them down… LOL

I am once again reminded of My Cousin Vinny- did you at least try a whole bite? And I’m sure V or Tasha was responsible for it and they know how to make grits, but did you smother them with butter, salt and pepper?

From what I’ve heard, people from the North prefer them with sugar…

The ex made them… and they were cheesy…and I have issues with their consistency…

You should try some not cheesy ones. That changes the consistency a lot.

I will give you major kudos for at least trying them- they don’t look great, but my gosh are they ever! It must be an acquired taste. I don’t think I could ever eat Cream of Wheat. I had a friend try to get me to eat it once- yuck!