Bigger engines

My buddy thinks just because a cars engine is bigger, it is more powerful and in turn is faster. His argument: A stock 5.7L engine will always beat any 1.5-2.4L engine, even if the 1.5-2.4L is COMPLETELY modified, and I’m talking the works, the most expensive, the most advanced, the very BEST aftermarket equipment is installed, every single thing that is possible to put on the car that makes it faster, better, more powerful, it will NOT beat the STOCK 5.7L in !“ANY”! race, because it’s “bigger”.

So please anybody, everybody, please put your two cents in, questions comments, I want your input!

maro or vette? or maybe the gto?

heh, nothing can beat a 4.6L :rock

Bigger doesn’t mean more efficient. I’ve seen Honda’s out run Corvette’s many times. It’s all about horsepower to weight ratio for speed anyways.

But, uhhh yea my 4.6L makes 500 hp, a typical 5.7L makes 300ish.

and then the stockiness of the engine too md, it all depends on what you put in it.

Re: RE: Bigger engines

[quote=mdvaldosta]Bigger doesn’t mean more efficient. I’ve seen Honda’s out run Corvette’s many times. It’s all about horsepower to weight ratio for speed anyways.

But, uhhh yea my 4.6L makes 500 hp, a typical 5.7L makes 300ish.[/quote]

exactly. ive see numerous times 4 wheelers out run cars. in fact most were mustangs. and top speed for a srt 10 ram 8.3L V10 is 150 mph when the srt 4 2.2L neons top speed is 153 mph. but theres alot more factors then just HP like all the power in the world wont be any good in a race unless you can get that power to the ground and of course theres more factors to it also. no offence to you but your friend is just being ignorant saying that.

:agree

in general bigger engines mean bigger torque… But he’s wrong, a smaller engine can be built to be faster.

thank you, i agree with all of you. his education on cars has come from, 4 people, his girlfriends dad (computer junky), a so called race car builder that works at Advanced, a mechanic that works at pepboys, and some other person who doesnt know shit. my education is coming from a year of schooling about cars, 10 master certified mechanics, a year of being around gearheads, mechanics, and other people like you. i think i might know a little more. plus im not as ignorant

Ask him who would win?

His LS1 straped into an M1A1 Abrams (60+ tons) vs. 2000Si’s 1.8ltr Civic?

Or his car vs. a 900 series street bike? :tard

hell yea, get a street bike in at 450lbs. making 150hp out of a 1.6L engine or so and it will smoke most street cars unless highly modified. and they can top out at nearly 200mph. hell, the 0-100 time on some street bikes is faster than many 0-60 times for cars.

your friend is as ignorant as they come man. just do everyone a favor and plot his demise :tard

what my friend was saying is that is impossible for a 4 cyl honda to ever beat a 5.7 trans am. more specific, he thinks a 2002 civic (4 cyl, whatever displacement) completely modified cannot ever beat a 2002 5.7L trans am in any race.

anybody disagree? give me more input.

stock for stock, the 5.7L will rape the civic at just about anything.

modified for stock, the honda engine can win- we already made that clear :tard

but why would someone waste the money on a gay honda when they could have a cool trans am or cool mustang that is faster cheaper?

Re: RE: Bigger engines

[quote=AtlanticBlue99]stock for stock, the 5.7L will rape the civic at just about anything.

modified for stock, the honda engine can win- we already made that clear :tard

but why would someone waste the money on a gay honda when they could have a cool trans am or cool mustang that is faster cheaper?[/quote]

your cool in my book AB and i hope this doesnt offend you but with what you just said someone can also say why would someone buy a V6 over a V8. its pretty much the same thing.

LS1’s own… but it is possible to beat one in a import. I don’t care who says no. I got beat by some old ragged ass import a looong time ago in my IROC (I know its not a LS1). It was a highway speed roll on… but damn… I had him for a minute then he just ate my ass!!! I have no idea what the car was… it wasn’t even close to looking decent… it was beat up and rusted out…

i know haus. the reason most people buy the hondas and stuff is for fuel efficiency. and the most reason people go with smaller engines is for insurance. otherwise, if you are over 25 and you still put money in a 4cyl or v6, either you have a ton of money and patience, or you havent been properly introduced into the muscle car arena.

i cant wait til i get my first out of college job and can afford nice stuff. then it will be cobra time for me

ok i see where your coming from. and yeah red some of those imports can be damn sleepers and can haul ass. i was watching a show on speed the other day and guy had a STI that had 800 hp out of that 4 banger. i was like damn. then i saw it at the track. lets just say i was very impressed and in shock.

if i could fit in it comftable i woulnt mind a infinity G35 or a acura TL. damn those are nice. im actually driving my sisters 330XI right now and i really like it. cant fit in it to well but i like it none the less.

i want an m3 or m5 bmw one day. they are very fast, quite, comfy, and luxurious. but mustangs are my passion. to me, nothing is more satisfying than american muscle at the end of the day