Computer seems sluggish

whats a good way to make the computer faster. like the games play kind of slow. sometimes things will go in what seems to be in slow motion. just internet games. other things on the internet seem slow too. kind of like hesitating at times. i have verizon DSL. and if you say put some nitrous on it or slap on some stickers on it im gonna come through the computer and slap you. :lol

Spyware and shut everything down but your game…Could work

Supercharge it. I wouldn’t go with a turbo because the turbo lag will probably piss you off when you start playing a game and its all slow, until it gets up to speed.

http://www.offtopicz.com/forums/smilies_mod/upload/e449023c340cad6b4ef621716b98ef51.gif

LOL. What kind of computer do you have? Laptop or desktop?

desktop. its a sony VAIO PCV-RX770 its a little out dated. only has 120 GB HD i have spyware on it and macafee anti virus. i dont know if that matters. but shit still gets through. would wiping the whole computer out and starting over help any.

Re: RE: computer seems sluggish

only a little outdated?

when a computer is 6 months old, its obsolete :smiley:

i wiped the hd on mine, and had a little winxphomesp2 re-activation problem… it went on up until it locked me out of my computer

so, if you wipey, just take some precautions, although i dont know which ones you should take, except for backing up any data on another harddrive if you have another.

How many megabytes of RAM you have? You should buy some to increase the amount you have. My old Compaq had 64MB of RAM it was sluggish, I increased it to 256MB and it’s faster than my new Gateway I have at work!

Since its a desktop it can easily be upgraded, which is good news. First off, download ad aware. It is good about clearing off spyware, which will make a noticable difference. Run that at least once a week if not more. The next best thing is to upgrade the RAM. I would reccomend 512. If your videocard is past its prime, a new one will make a HUGE difference as well. A good one that is.

i already have 512 mb of ram. what kind of adware do you recomend.

this i what reviews say about the computer

At the heart of the system lies an Intel Pentium 4 processor. But not just any Pentium 4–this is a high-flying 2.2 GHz P4 chip with 512 KB of Level 2 cache. Sony has matched this extremely potent CPU with 512 MB of fast PC800-40 RDRAM (upgradable to 1 full GB) and plopped the whole works on a new 533 MHz bus motherboard. A 32 MB SiS650 video card handles the graphics processing. Suffice to say that Sony’s top-of-the-line desktop will efficiently run any program currently in release and quite probably any appearing in the near future.

[quote=Haus]this i what reviews say about the computer

At the heart of the system lies an Intel Pentium 4 processor. But not just any Pentium 4–this is a high-flying 2.2 GHz P4 chip with 512 KB of Level 2 cache. Sony has matched this extremely potent CPU with 512 MB of fast PC800-40 RDRAM (upgradable to 1 full GB) and plopped the whole works on a new 533 MHz bus motherboard. A 32 MB SiS650 video card handles the graphics processing. Suffice to say that Sony’s top-of-the-line desktop will efficiently run any program currently in release and quite probably any appearing in the near future.[/quote]

Alright, thats what I needed to know. See that video card? Thats keeping performance down. If you want something that is good for the games on here, and basic stuff, go get a 128 MB video card. Either Nvidia or ATI. If you want to be able to play top of the line computer games and stuff like that, get a 256 MB vid card. Either one will make a huge difference. Oh, and that memory is the old kind of memory, slower. Get DDR2 Ram. 512 would make a difference over what you have now, or you could get a stick of 512, and a 256 to have 768 MB of RAM, which will of course make it faster.

The type of adware I use is called Ad Aware. Its really good.

LOL. are you being a smart ass :smiley: . thanks for the help. im actually thinking about getting a computer built with all of the good stuff. i have a friend thats good at building up computers. and a reply to lemons post. growing up i was told that the minute you bring the computer home it became obsolete. well not really but the newest technology came out soon after.

Well if your friend is good at building pcs, have him make you one. You can make one yourself with the good stuff(or have a friend do it for you) for alot cheaper than you can buy them already built with crappier parts. :banana

hell ya. is it also true what i heard about being able to get a tv tuner and watching tv on a computer. im not gonna install one, just wondering

you damn skippy… which also mean, you could play your game consoles on your comp… just takes some stuff…

so if you want some recommendations on a new computer sys :D…

game oriented:

get a motherboard that supports sli technology from nvidia… seems better than the ati equivalent, from what ive heard…

2 video cards, bfg geforce fx 6800 ultras (whacha wanna bet them fuckers’ll go :smiley: :banana :booze :banana )

get a dual core processor

get 4 gigs of ddr2 800 mem, some motherboards allow upto 8 gigs for registered/buffered memory, usually used with amd procs

get 2 dvd +/- rw drives

get 1 floppy if needed

get a 6-12? in 1 card reader (for cameras and such)

get a fan controller (especially if overclocking)

get 4 hard drives 74GB, 10k rpm, all sata (newer type of sata interface used for hard drives); all in raid 0

get 2 hard drives 400GB, ide, data storage, like movies, and stuff

get 1 logictech 7.1 surround sound hooked up to:

1 creative soundblaster audigy 2 pro platnim…

====

total: an empty life savings account :rock

work oriented: see above :smiley:

Just get a MAC…

no, seriously I was just kidding…

thanks everyone for there help.

[quote=RecklessTim]Just get a MAC…

no, seriously I was just kidding…[/quote]

I heard Macs are great

[quote=horseshoeing][quote=RecklessTim]Just get a MAC…

no, seriously I was just kidding…[/quote]

I heard Macs are great[/quote]

good for graphics, like making animation movies like shrek, and cutscenes… :dunno

Do the crash like a IBM clone???