Fast Food and Schools

Should fast food outlets be banned within walking distance of a school?

For example you have a one hour lunchtime, should fast food outlets be restricted to more than a 25 min walk from a school?

I don’t think so, it’s a restriction on personal liberty as well as meaning that small businesses lose out too (like fish and chip shops)

No. Schools can be in the middle of the city, and yet business’ would then be forced to move. Just get parents to not allow their kids to go their, for the school to not allow for them to go to lunch outside the school.

Devils advocate here

But do parents actually have autonomy over their students when they are in school? As long as the parent gives the child money, they can still go to the fast food places.

Theoretically, yes they can. Whether it is by informing teachers, or if it is giving them money that is enough for school lunch but not enough for a McDonald’s, or if it is by talking to the Headteacher and asking them not to allow students to leave the school area during Lunch. My school had a problem with that, and the Headteacher worked it out.

Who the hell gets an hour lunch???

My school

School lunches are utterly disgusting. Do you think making them more appetising/offering a wider range will make them more palatable?

And don’t suggest Jamie Oliver with what he did to potato smileys :angry:

We got half an hour in school, we get 20 minutes st work

I’m moving school next September and the school is in a small town (tourist town) so has many fish and chip shops and other quick fast food places… it would be a massive hit to the towns economy to ban these places

If u had to regulate it in areas such as this it would be to not allowed to server the people in school (but even that I consider to far)

In my secondary school (well, high school for me because I went through a different system to the rest of the UK) we had about an hour break. I never really used it for heading out for fast food, though I did use it to pop home sometimes and grab some food as I only lived a five minute walk away.[quote=“Underscore, post:7, topic:109409”]
School lunches are utterly disgusting. Do you think making them more appetising/offering a wider range will make them more palatable?
[/quote]
My school lunches were actually pretty decent, so I usually bought something at the school. Especially at break. Fuck the food at break was good.

Over priced shit I call it :smiley: schools however does do great tray bakes (cookies and flapjack etc)

We get 43 min (school likes to ring bell early for some reason)

We got hour lunches at school, and had the choice between a yearly payment in exchange for school lunches, or packed lunches.

The school lunches were absolutely delicious.

fast food companies should be taxed out of mainstream existence entirely