Fat Acceptance Good or Bad?

fatshaming
culture
future
people

The question here is whether fat acceptance is positive for society or not?
Discuss:

1.Should obese people pay for two seats on a bus or aeroplane?
2.Is health at an obese size possible?
3.Should obesity be glorified or will this have a negative affect on society?
4.Is being fat ugly?
5.Is it Bad to diet your children to prevent obesity?
6.Is it child abuse to feed your child into obesity?
7.Is obesity genetic?

Respond to any of these questions.

Bad.
Acceptance should lie on subjects that are not controllable by the sufferer, that may change him physically or behaviourally, but not by his own choice.

While being fat, in very rare cases, can be genetic, in most cases it can be attributed to a bad diet, lack of sports, unhealthy eating habits, and just generally being a lazy greasy bastard.

A part of obesity which I’m still hesistant on is that caused by poverty. This subject is, for me, still open for debate. Is poverty a valid reason for obesity? Is the lack of an education in diet a cause of junk food and drink, overeating… Is the fact of having parents that work too much to prepare a healthy menu, or with not enough money to pay for one, a convincing factor behind obesity?

This is, I think, a much more pressing issue than genetics.

To answer your question, no, I don’t believe being fat should be accepted. And I don’t mean the “you exist, lemme help” kind of accept, I mean the “fat is beautiful, here’s a morbidly obese model” accept.
If it is linked to poverty, then it should be treated like poverty. Something to eliminate as society progresses.

I’ll state what I think of question number 4 (Is being fat ugly?).

I’ve never been attracted to obese women. I have nothing against them. But I’m not physically attracted to them.

Looks matter to me. I’m not saying that a girl I’m interested in dating has to look perfect. And I’m far from perfect myself. But still, looks matter to me.

So yes, in my eyes, being obese is unattractive to me.

Hello! First time on here. I think that this is a very interesting topic, so I’ll try to give as much insight as I can.

First things off, alright, obese people should have to pay for two seats. In most cases, the person can control their weight by simply eating better. There are some genetic disorders, but those don’t exactly make people overweight, not full-on obese (I’ll reiterate on this later).

Personally, I don’t think that health at an obese size is possible, but I don’t know that much about it.

Obesity :clap: Should :clap: Not :clap: Be :clap: Glorified :clap: (sorry for the claps, i just need to emphasize)
It is killing yourself little by little. Obese people are more likely to get Type 2 Diabetes, high blood pressure etc.
(https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-statistics/overweight-obesity)
There is a reason why being obese is unhealthy. If we stop taking weight into account and stop caring about what we eat, we’ll all eat ourselves into the ground.

Depends on what you mean by ‘fat’. If you just mean by a lil’ overweight, I’m not picky. Obese is a different issue. I have never come across an obese man or woman that is attractive.

I think that dieting is alright. Teaching your kids what’s healthy and what’s not is good parenting. Just don’t make the food intake of a growing child too little.

If you only make enough money for a one dollar chicken nugget meal at McDonald’s for your kids, I can’t say anything about that. If that’s the case, try to get to a food bank, but those aren’t everywhere. While it is unhealthy, the only alternatives are starving or not paying this month’s rent because of some apple slices. On the hand where your kid just really wants some KFC for breakfast and you do have the money for some of that good good organic nutrients, I think that’s abuse. If you do not care about your children’s health to were that now have health issues is bad. I can’t paste more than 2 links, but just google it.

Other than giving your child health concerns, your kid’s 100% gonna get bullied. ;/ So, if you think about it, that’s also gonna have a toll on their health. Bullies might make them stress-eat, and now your kid is depressed.
-IDK if I’m overstepping here, but that sounds logical to me.

Okay, here we go, boyos.
I love genetics. Studying hereditary disorders are my guilty pleasure, especially when I can pull weird genetic facts out of my ass at random. There are SOME rare genetic disorders that increase weight gain. PCOS and Prader-Willi are ones I remember off the top of my head. I don’t know that much about PCOS, but I know a bit about PW. PW does increase the possibility of overeating. On the ‘My 600 lb Life’ episodes, after childhood trauma’s, I hear a lot of them talking about PW. Their stomachs are like a bottomless pit. They literally do not know when they are full. I personally never usually get full either, but I still eat in moderation. They don’t. And in those cases, I do have to give a little bit of leniency. It is a condition in itself. Other cases are (, and I know that this isn’t ‘genetic’, but still related to disability in a whole,) if a person is in a wheelchair, and they have no way to exercise. No reason to chomp down on junk, but an excuse (I can’t think of a better word for excuse, I’m not trying to be mean here). SOME conditions make you obese. Genes, at the very least, make you a lil’ over. My dad is -not to be mean again- pretty large, and I am the tiniest bit overweight, but looking at me, you’d think I’m pretty scrawny. It’s just a lil’ effect, it won’t add 200 pounds to your weight!

Article used for PW: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3137005/

I think I made this a little too long, but I hope it answers your question!

Fat people exist and its not right to eradicate them from certain magazines etc. Our media should reflect our society and, yes, even fat people can be beautiful and sexy.

It seems to me that a lot of people just hate fat people and they use health concerns or make up problems that dont really exist in order to justify attacking them.

Widespread obesity is an epidemic in the United States of America and is spreading out to the rest of the world. Obesity is an American export.
It is the rampant consumer culture which drives this. The endless commercials, the very fact that our economies rely on constant growth in order to sustain themselves. How often have we heard from economists that the problem is people not buying things? Look around yourself right now and notice all the adverts shoved in your face. Its crazy. When will this madness end?