Grand National - Should it be wanked over?

There is a petition on the government’s website which is calling for the Grand National to be banned. Currently it has 4,372 signatures.

Should it be banned?

Cripple the race horse industry so that the horses who were bred for nothing else have to put down instead of running.

Genius.

@Alias[/USER] [USER=5892]@Clara Oswin Oswald[/USER] given you both voted it ought to be, yet haven’t commented, would you perhaps be willing to provide an argument as to why it ought to be banned? I’d also be curious as to what safeguards you would see put in place to prevent such a situation as cited by [USER=2996]@Ricky.

[QUOTE=“Campo, post: 447570, member: 7648”]@Alias[/USER] [USER=5892]@Clara Oswin Oswald[/USER] given you both voted it ought to be, yet haven’t commented, would you perhaps be willing to provide an argument as to why it ought to be banned? I’d also be curious as to what safeguards you would see put in place to prevent such a situation as cited by [USER=2996]@Ricky.[/QUOTE]

You see in the Grand National, the focus is all on the money, not the horses overall health. Also, fatal injuries for the horses are common in this sport. I also don’t see why the horses would be killed (once the sport is banned) when they’d be just like any other horses, but we could extend animal welfare acts to animals like horses too.

Why would anyone advocate such a thing?

I should start a petition to ban banners.

[QUOTE=“Clara Oswin Oswald, post: 447572, member: 5892”]You see in the Grand National, the focus is all on the money, not the horses overall health. Also, fatal injuries for the horses are common in this sport. I also don’t see why the horses would be killed (once the sport is banned) when they’d be just like any other horses, but we could extend animal welfare acts to animals like horses too.[/QUOTE]

On the contrary, though, they’re bred to race, with their sole purpose being to race. The horse’s overall health is in the best interests of the owners, given an unhealthy horse is far less likely to prevail as the winner. Whilst I won’t deny fatal injuries can occur, it’s worth noting that can happen to both horse and rider, and in other sports it’s also possible for fatal injuries. That said, it’s not all that common, but it is indeed unfortunate when it happens. Why not rather revamp the safeguards in place during races instead of banning the sport outright, taking away a national spectacle and that provides a large number of horses with a purpose by virtue of them being bred and trained for said purpose?

[QUOTE=“Campo, post: 447574, member: 7648”]On the contrary, though, they’re bred to race, with their sole purpose being to race. The horse’s overall health is in the best interests of the owners, given an unhealthy horse is far less likely to prevail as the winner. Whilst I won’t deny fatal injuries can occur, it’s worth noting that can happen to both horse and rider, and in other sports it’s also possible for fatal injuries. That said, it’s not all that common, but it is indeed unfortunate when it happens. Why not rather revamp the safeguards in place during races instead of banning the sport outright, taking away a national spectacle and that provides a large number of horses with a purpose by virtue of them being bred and trained for said purpose?[/QUOTE]

I’m happy to revamp safeguards, but this has been constantly put onto the table and hasn’t happened. We just need to make it clear that the Grand National needs safeguards and then my stance would rapidly change on it

[QUOTE=“Clara Oswin Oswald, post: 447576, member: 5892”]I’m happy to revamp safeguards, but this has been constantly put onto the table and hasn’t happened. We just need to make it clear that the Grand National needs safeguards and then my stance would rapidly change on it[/QUOTE]

Then why call for a ban rather than taking the third position of calling for revamped safeguards? Seems like distorted logic to me.

[QUOTE=“Campo, post: 447577, member: 7648”]Then why call for a ban rather than taking the third position of calling for revamped safeguards? Seems like distorted logic to me.[/QUOTE]

I’ll believe it when I see it. Right now it’s a really cruel sport

[QUOTE=“Clara Oswin Oswald, post: 447579, member: 5892”]I’ll believe it when I see it. Right now it’s a really cruel sport[/QUOTE]

Yes, but by your own admission, you’d rather see revamped safeguards. So instead of calling for a ban, why not contribute constructively to the preferred option - reformed, improved safeguards - so that the sport may continue, a national spectacle may continue, and these horses that have been bred to race may continue to have a purpose in life?

Yes. It’s incredibly cruel and unnecessary.

[QUOTE=“Campo, post: 447580, member: 7648”]why not contribute constructively to the preferred option - reformed, improved safeguards[/QUOTE]

Because the organisers would never accept it and the safeguards would do little-to-nothing to protect the horses.

[QUOTE=“Clara Oswin Oswald, post: 447572, member: 5892”]You see in the Grand National, the focus is all on the money, not the horses overall health. Also, fatal injuries for the horses are common in this sport. I also don’t see why the horses would be killed (once the sport is banned) when they’d be just like any other horses, but we could extend animal welfare acts to animals like horses too.[/QUOTE]

Really? The horses wouldn’t be like any other horses. They were bred to race by their owners. If they can’t race, they’ll kill them.

[QUOTE=“John, post: 447589, member: 5914”]Really? The horses wouldn’t be like any other horses. They were bred to race by their owners. If they can’t race, they’ll kill them.[/QUOTE]

Shame on the horse owners then. They (owners) should be locked up if they do that. If they don’t want the horses they should sell them

[QUOTE=“Clara Oswin Oswald, post: 447591, member: 5892”]Shame on the horse owners then. They (owners) should be locked up if they do that. If they don’t want the horses they should sell them[/QUOTE]

Who would buy hundreds of very expensive racing horses, which you can’t race?

[QUOTE=“John, post: 447593, member: 5914”]Who would buy hundreds of very expensive racing horses, which you can’t race?[/QUOTE]

The animal should be put before money.

Absolutely not. The day the grand national is banned is the day when the UK officially becomes a nanny-state dictatorship. As the IEA shows, we have one of the largest nanny-states in the EU. We don’t want to expand it any further.

[QUOTE=“Latté Liberal, post: 447598, member: 3622”]Absolutely not. The day the grand national is banned is the day when the UK officially becomes a nanny-state dictatorship. As the IEA shows, we have one of the largest nanny-states in the EU. We don’t want to expand it any further.[/QUOTE]

Maybe the nanny state is needed in some cases to protect animals.

[QUOTE=“Clara Oswin Oswald, post: 447599, member: 5892”]Maybe the nanny state is needed in some cases to protect animals.[/QUOTE]
In some situations, relatively minor efforts to maintain animal welfare would be acceptable, if done on a local basis, however, the Grand National is a significant national tradition enjoyed by millions of people. Every year it attract loads of investment and contributes to economic activity in the UK. At the end of the day, this is much more important than the deaths of a few horses.

[QUOTE=“Latté Liberal, post: 447601, member: 3622”]In some situations, relatively minor efforts to maintain animal welfare would be acceptable, if done on a local basis, however, the Grand National is a significant national tradition enjoyed by millions of people. Every year it attract loads of investment and contributes to economic activity in the UK. At the end of the day, this is much more important than the deaths of a few horses.[/QUOTE]

‘death of a few horses’ one death is too many.

Also riders lives are put at risk too. The sport should have more regulations to prevent horses deaths and riders deaths.

[QUOTE=“Clara Oswin Oswald, post: 447603, member: 5892”]‘death of a few horses’ one death is too many.

Also riders lives are put at risk too. The sport should have more regulations to prevent horses deaths and riders deaths.[/QUOTE]
Maybe so, and indeed there is already a regulatory body known as the British Horseracing Authority that regulates horse racing. We don’t need an outright ban to make the event safer.