Grand National - Should it be wanked over?

[QUOTE=“Latté Liberal, post: 447605, member: 3622”]Maybe so, and indeed there is already a regulatory body known as the British Horseracing Authority that regulates horse racing. We don’t need an outright ban to make the event safer.[/QUOTE]

One horse or jockey dying that is not needed is one too many.

We need to make it so much safer

[QUOTE=“Clara Oswin Oswald, post: 447603, member: 5892”]‘death of a few horses’ one death is too many.

Also riders lives are put at risk too. The sport should have more regulations to prevent horses deaths and riders deaths.[/QUOTE]

The rider does all in his power to ensure the safety of his horse. The rider knows the consequences and the risks of competing.

[QUOTE=“Clara Oswin Oswald, post: 447594, member: 5892”]The animal should be put before money.[/QUOTE]

In some cases where a species is threatened, but horses aren’t going extinct as a result of this.

[QUOTE=“John, post: 447608, member: 5914”]The rider does all in his power to ensure the safety of his horse. The rider knows the consequences and the risks of competing.

In some cases where a species is threatened, but horses aren’t going extinct as a result of this.[/QUOTE]

Yes but the rider cannot speak for the horse.

Absolutely not. Great day out and a massive day for the economy. Not really a fan of horse racing because I rather other sports but horses are extremely well treated and the Grand National is the most prestigious race in the sport. Removing it would totally discredit the sport.

I love the Grand National and see no reason why it should be banned.

[QUOTE=“Clara Oswin Oswald, post: 447572, member: 5892”]I also don’t see why the horses would be killed (once the sport is banned) when they’d be just like any other horses, but we could extend animal welfare acts to animals like horses too.[/QUOTE]

“I live in a delusional world where livestock get to retire”

glue_factory.jpg

I see absoloutley no point or benefit to banning the Grand National.

No. These horses get to live a relative life of luxury for a small possibility of accidentally dying.

Researching the ethics of the Grand National has been on my “to do list” for a few years, but for some reason I’ve never actually gotten around to it, so fuck knows.

[QUOTE=“Joshrune, post: 447865, member: 2313”]Researching the ethics of the Grand National has been on my “to do list” for a few years, but for some reason I’ve never actually gotten around to it, so fuck knows.[/QUOTE]
Can’t you just use your own reasoning skills? You are more than capable!

[QUOTE=“Latté Liberal, post: 447943, member: 3622”]Can’t you just use your own reasoning skills? You are more than capable![/QUOTE]
Yes… But that’s including in the ‘researching’ bit of what I said. The Grand National isn’t really something I’ve ever prioritised enough to actually bother researching its details, which I need to understand to come to any ethical conclusion about it. I don’t watch or bet on the Grand National either, never have.

Is there any evidence to suggest the Grand National does any harm to the horses?

[QUOTE=“Euthime de Beaumont, post: 447972, member: 6037”]Is there any evidence to suggest the Grand National does any harm to the horses?[/QUOTE]

I think it’s quite evident. They go to the Grand National, and a very small amount, if any, die.

Horse racing in general is disgusting. The amount of strain it puts on the horse is astronomical, and the after-effects on the ex-racehorse is incredibly dangerous to both the human and the horse. Whip, spur and kicking overuse has a great effect on a horse that makes them mistrustful and pained. Countless horses have had bones fly out of their legs when they were running, and after that, THEY WERE SHOT BEHIND SCREENS! How sick, how messed up can humans get?

Horse racing is disgusting. You think it’s okay to let a horse be beaten into running as fast as it can and then shot as soon as it gains a minor injury? It’s clear abuse. What about that horse who’s leg bones literally exploded out of her leg with a sound like a shot being fired, because of the strain of continuously running when there is a breaking point for every horse?