Great post

Well first lets start with facts about the two motors in stock form. LS1 is less efficient, it makes less brake horse power per liter than the 4.6L 4V motor. I have posted these numbes before but i’ll do it again for discussion sake.

Stock F-Body LS1’s are quoted to make between 305-325 HP depending upon model.
So lets give them the benifit and say 330HP, divided by 5.7 (liters) = 57.89 BHPL.

Stock Corvette LS1’s are quoted between 345-350 HP depending upon year. 350 divided by 5.7 = 61.4… LS6 in the Z06, 385/405 HP depending upon year. 405 divided by 5.7 = 71.05 BHPL.

Now those aren’t bad numbers. But lets review the 4.6 4V

2003 MACH 1. Quoted to make 305HP, now we all know thats off a bit, but for argument sake, 305 divided by 4.6 = 66.30 BHPL. Now the 01 SVT COBRA was quoted at 320, and we know the MACH 1 actually makes closer to 330 HP, so lets say its 330 BHP. 330/4.6=71.7BHPL.

Ok, well now we know for certain the 4.6L is more effiecient at making power than even the mighty LS6 or at least **** close to it. LS2 is not any better either. 400BHP/6.0L= 66.6 BHPL.

Now you made the comment that an LS1 is cheaper to buy components for…well that may or may not be a blanket truth. Regardless, the LS1 will need much more prep work to hold the same HP. Fewer OEM parts can be retained for the upgrade in HP, they simply won’t support it. The 96-98 COBRA motor is an affordable and a superior canvas to start with. The block can hold 1000 HP with only minor prep. The crank needs little to no work to support 1000 HP and the heads and intakes need only to be ported. The valve train needs to be updgraded, but for the most part more OEM parts can be used/retained saving you money. The LS1 to make 1000HP will need a freaking laundry list of new parts. Hell, to even make 600RWHP you need a bucket of $$$ for the LS1. The 4.6L 4V you just slap a blower onto a block or your choice be it AL or Iron, make sure you have forged pistons and rods and your set to jet.

better motor man.

cool stats. i know, all these people keep telling me that the chevys are more efficient engine wize- but i thought the big block chevys from back in the day were pretty good. then again, a big block ford is great too.

very interesting, so why doesnt ford come out with a 5.8 pushrod making 500+ horsepower? and just blow the doors off of gm all together. it would be sweet.

b/c ford took a big hit in profits last quater. maybe ford will fund svt in production of a newer/larger more efficient engine. like bore out the lightning engine? :dunno

yea I know it wont happen but it would be sweet, just to have more displacement. and along with it would come more power.

Re: RE: GREAT POST

good question, mostly to protect them i think. But i hear the new cobra shoudl be putting 500hp on a detuned motor.!!!

Now thats what I’m talkin about! is it gonna be on a 5.4 or the reg 4.6 block?

331 Whipple charged. From what they say. Corral(sp?) has alot of info on them.

that would make it 5.4 correct? is it gonna be modular?

[quote=sp3nis]Well first lets start with facts about the two motors in stock form. LS1 is less efficient, it makes less brake horse power per liter than the 4.6L 4V motor. I have posted these numbes before but i’ll do it again for discussion sake.

So lets give them the benifit and say 330HP, divided by 5.7 (liters) = 57.89 BHPL.

Stock Corvette LS1’s are quoted between 345-350 HP depending upon year. 350 divided by 5.7 = 61.4… LS6 in the Z06, 385/405 HP depending upon year. 405 divided by 5.7 = 71.05 BHPL.

2003 MACH 1. Quoted to make 305HP, now we all know thats off a bit, but for argument sake, 305 divided by 4.6 = 66.30 BHPL. Now the 01 SVT COBRA was quoted at 320, and we know the MACH 1 actually makes closer to 330 HP, so lets say its 330 BHP. 330/4.6=71.7BHPL.

Ok, well now we know for certain the 4.6L is more effiecient at making power than even the mighty LS6 or at least **** close to it. LS2 is not any better either. 400BHP/6.0L= 66.6 BHPL.

Now you made the comment that an LS1 is cheaper to buy components for…well that may or may not be a blanket truth. Regardless, the LS1 will need much more prep work to hold the same HP. Fewer OEM parts can be retained for the upgrade in HP, they simply won’t support it. The 96-98 COBRA motor is an affordable and a superior canvas to start with. The block can hold 1000 HP with only minor prep. The crank needs little to no work to support 1000 HP and the heads and intakes need only to be ported. The valve train needs to be updgraded, but for the most part more OEM parts can be used/retained saving you money. The LS1 to make 1000HP will need a freaking laundry list of new parts. Hell, to even make 600RWHP you need a bucket of $$$ for the LS1. The 4.6L 4V you just slap a blower onto a block or your choice be it AL or Iron, make sure you have forged pistons and rods and your set to jet.

better motor man.[/quote]

Haha, no where in there did it mention how many more cams and valves the mach/cobra motor has. Its a shitty arguement… I personally dont care, my family has a chevy truck, caddy cts, and i’ve had the only two fords a 92 ranger and 00 GT. Bottom line is the ls1 is a damn good engine for the price.

[quote=czwalga00gt]

Haha, no where in there did it mention how many more cams and valves the mach/cobra motor has. Its a shitty arguement… I personally dont care, my family has a chevy truck, caddy cts, and i’ve had the only two fords a 92 ranger and 00 GT. Bottom line is the ls1 is a damn good engine for the price.[/quote]

yeah the ls1 is a good motor. But its far from god that people claim it to be.
And how many mach1s or cobras do you see with heads? How many ls1s? Our 32v heads are made to flow REAL nice out of the box, i dont think thats a shitty agrument at all.

but what do i know i drive a import? lookbelow :rofl

:cliff

B16a2

160 hp / 1.6L = 100 hp per liter.

I win that comparison.

haha Si :owned

[quote=2000Si]B16a2

I win that comparison.[/quote]

hrm… :dunno o my audi beats you! HAHAA

281 / 260 = 1.0807692307692307692307692307692 hp per cubic inch… its an american car, so i measured in american units… :dunno

[quote=sp3nis][quote=2000Si]B16a2

hrm… :dunno o my audi beats you! HAHAA[/quote]

You mean your dad’s audi? Oh ok. Isn’t that car turbocharged?

:tard

[quote=2000Si][quote=sp3nis][quote=2000Si]B16a2

hrm… :dunno o my audi beats you! HAHAA[/quote]

You mean your dad’s audi? Oh ok. Isn’t that car turbocharged?

:tard[/quote]

Hrmm… Not that i know of? T can stand for anything… :rofl

[quote=sp3nis]Well first lets start with facts about the two motors in stock form. LS1 is less efficient, it makes less brake horse power per liter than the 4.6L 4V motor. I have posted these numbes before but i’ll do it again for discussion sake.

thats the only problem with the post they put down like those numbers to the wheels not bhp hp good post but bad numbers. He does have some argumetns though but ls1 will always put down more then a 4.6 NA…
NO replacement for displacement.

[quote=sp3nis][quote=sp3nis]Well first lets start with facts about the two motors in stock form. LS1 is less efficient, it makes less brake horse power per liter than the 4.6L 4V motor. I have posted these numbes before but i’ll do it again for discussion sake.

thats the only problem with the post they put down like those numbers to the wheels not bhp hp good post but bad numbers. He does have some argumetns though but ls1 will always put down more then a 4.6 NA…
NO replacement for displacement.[/quote]

True. And then slap a blower or turbo on an LS1 and see what happens. Teh LS1 can neva looooooose! Well, that’s what the guys at LS2.com say.