How Can Bullying Be Stopped?

Bullying is now a bigger problem that it was in the past because bullies can use the anonymity of the net to their advantage. Cyberbullying [which is more malicious] has driven some kids to commit suicide so it certainly isn’t something that can be ignored anymore.

Question: what would you do to help stop bullying? Or is this a fight that can never be won?

[QUOTE=Smithee]

Question: what would you do to help stop bullying? Or is this a fight that can never be won?

[/QUOTE]
Oh my goodness, Smithee… that’s an excellent question. I had to think a minute to get my feelings together on it (as someone who was bullied myself much of my school years… I suppose we all were unless we were the ones doing the bullying!)

I think that there is a way that would make it stop, but it would be so very difficult to put into action and make stick. I think the only way to make it stop is to make the bullies get tired of it and “go find something else to do.” And the way they’d get tired of it is if they’re ignored. That’s the way to do it… but like i said, it would be difficult at best.

To ignore bullies, we’d have to build very high self esteem in the people being bullied. (For sake of making points here, I’ll think about school bullying although I know it’s very bad in the adult world, too. :frowning: ) We have to reinforce in the kids the truth that they are GREAT and what some pathetic self-hating bully says is just to rile them. By responding, they give the bully power. When bullies see someone cowering or being affected, guess what? They get even worse. But… that’s so hard to do.

The kids need to know that they’re NOT what the bully is saying. That they’re beautiful and lovable and that the bully is the one who is feeling bad about his or herself.

I’m talking about verbal bullying here… I realize that sometimes there are physical bullies and no amount of ignoring them is going to make it stop. I have no idea what to do about that kind. Can you think of anything?

If it grows into something bigger and someone gets hurt then my solution is not a very good idea. I was thinking that kids should stand up for themselves. You know, you should fight back or if you cannot do that you need to talk to somebody and some steps should be taken. Parents play a big role in this. I can give you my example. I have been doing karate since I was 6 and by the time we got to school I was brown/black belt. However, I am a quiet guy and then I was rather small ans short but I really never had any problems with my friends. I was friendly and with manners. Nevertheless I was an energetic kid as I am now and I was playing football at the same time as I was in karate. My motto is, “Stay out of my was and I will not stay in your way.” The point is that some older kids showed up from nowhere and scared the other kids. I was the only one left. They asked me my lunch money but what they didn’t know was I was a bat shit crazy when it comes to my own security. It was a very bad day for them. We were kids but I remember using some bricks and I also remember open head wounds. It was a self defence because it was two of them an they were older. That was the first and last time I got bullied. Even in high school I was quiet but people feel the vibe and they never got in any fight with me. I had no problems so you try to put your kids into karate classes or something like that so they can realize they do not have to be scared.

I personally feel like it’s more about support. Even with cyberbullying, the child needs to know they can come to someone. All too often they are scared to go to an adult, because they fear reprimands or fear that it will make the bullying worse. Supporting and being involved in the child’s life can do wonders with their confidence that they really do have someone to go to when they need it.

When someone bullies you, it is humiliating and depressing. So, it is best to take time and think about what has just happened. As a first step, one should comprehend that he or she is being bullied. It is easier said than done, given the mental status the victim would go into. That is where one should take time pondering over the incident and the circumstances that lead to the incident. Believe that you are the only one who can judge you and no one else can judge you and reprimand you. This is the fundamental step. Once you know what is going on, you think in the right direction to stop the bully from repeating it on you.

The thing about bullying is that it is harmful to both the bully and the bullied. Being in both positions, I think the only real solution is to give these kids a sense of self-worth and self-esteem. That can come from good parents, good schooling, and probably a better society that we can work towards. If a kid has good good worth and esteem then he wouldn’t feel the need to put someone else down to feel good about themselves.

The word ‘bully’ I think is a catchall term that sometimes includes behaviours that isn’t necessarily repetitive and intentionally harmful. It’s important to understand and teach children what bullying is, vs. being rude or unintentionally mean.

Show them a picture of Donald Trump and tell them they could turn into that, complete with the bad hair piece! Ha

No really, he is a bully. But in all seriousness, bullying is a problem and teachers need to be more proactive about stopping it from happening in the schools and classrooms. Parents need to be on it at home and elsewhere. If police officers could scare the daylights out of bullies, that would make them stop in a hurry! There’s many ways to stop a bully from their hate, but those are just a few I see that can help.

As a parent that I am, I think that the best way to stop bullying is to be close to our kids. They must feel comfortable enough to tell us anything and if they do it we will be able to act on that. If we don’t know what’s going on what can we do?

I think the best way to stop bullying is by teaching kids to be kind and to respect others of all nationalities, sexualities, backgrounds, etc. Although this won’t completely stop the problem, it should help to reduce it.

On the other hand, schools should take it very seriously, and students should always feel comfortable enough to talk to an adult (e.g. a teacher) if they’re having trouble. The child should feel supported and know that what the bully is doing is wrong.

There is nothing that can be done in order to stop bullying. It is in our nature to want to be aggressive and some people see bullying as a conduit to that urge. The best thing that can be done is to ignore that person as they will never amount to anything in life anyways. Instead, people should focus on building themselves up as to see the ones who would do them harm be stuck at the bottom to rot.

[QUOTE=djordjem87]

If it grows into something bigger and someone gets hurt then my solution is not a very good idea. I was thinking that kids should stand up for themselves. You know, you should fight back or if you cannot do that you need to talk to somebody and some steps should be taken.

[/QUOTE]
On a sidenote, that is exactly why the founding fathers thought that “citizens” (not the military and not the police per your comment in another thread), should have a right to bear arms. Sometimes the government is the bully, and our founding fathers realized that governments can bully it’s own people.

As far as bullying in school goes, my father taught me a long time ago sooner or later you’re going to get the crap beat out of you if you don’t stick up for yourself. I use to get picked on, then when I made an example of the guy, no one ever picked on me after that. However, in today’s school system, if a child fights back, they are just as responsible as the person instigating the event, which IMO isn’t right.

Bullying won’t be stopped. It’s because of people’s wicked hearts that it happens. People just have to learn to stick up for themselves, instead of making themselves a victim.

The simple fact is that bullying will always exist in some shape or form. What we can do is create a environment where people stand up and are against those kind of acts. You also have the fact of kids doing dumb stuff and not considering how it effects people.

Online bullying is easy to stop

Just delete and block anyone who is been a bully

The end

[QUOTE=Sauer]

On a sidenote, that is exactly why the founding fathers thought that “citizens” (not the military and not the police per your comment in another thread), should have a right to bear arms. Sometimes the government is the bully, and our founding fathers realized that governments can bully it’s own people.

As far as bullying in school goes, my father taught me a long time ago sooner or later you’re going to get the crap beat out of you if you don’t stick up for yourself. I use to get picked on, then when I made an example of the guy, no one ever picked on me after that. However, in today’s school system, if a child fights back, they are just as responsible as the person instigating the event, which IMO isn’t right.

[/QUOTE]About the first comment. I live in a country where guns are not very every day thing and we settled our fights either with hands or with words. Later is my favourite though. If everyone had guns it would be a curfew. I couldn’t walk freely knowing that some guy next to me might have a loaded gun. It is not normal.

I totally agree with you on this one and even if both kids are blamed in the end, at least you stood up for yourself. That is a good lesson in your life. So what if you get detention or something worse. It is just another little thing but your ability to defend yourself is always with you.

[QUOTE=djordjem87]

If everyone had guns it would be a curfew. I couldn’t walk freely knowing that some guy next to me might have a loaded gun. It is not normal.

[/QUOTE]
I walk freely every day knowing others may have a gun and it doesn’t bother me in the least. I’ve carried a gun for over 20 years as a civilian and not ONCE have I EVER had to draw it. I might add that if you have a right to walk freely unarmed, that should not infringe upon my own rights to walk armed. A gun tool, nothing more.

I think bullying can be stopped in a lot of ways. Depending on what kind of bullying you are talking about, whether is at school or outside of school, inbetween communities or just a personal issue with someone I think there are certain ways to overcome it. For example, if we talk about High School bullying, then organizing a meeting with all the students and showing them how bullying can affect the majority of people (both physically and psychologically) I think would be a good idea.

On a more general level, a good way to get over it would be to talk with the person and show/tell them the consequences the other person may have afterwards and showing them how to ‘put themselves in someone else’s shoes’.

Bullying can be stopped by putting attention on the bully and the situation. Why is this happening? What is the bully trying to accomplish? Make sure someone of authority has knowledge of this bullying situation so that it can be nipped in the bud as fast as possible. Often times the right person has no idea this is going on. Get children to open up about issues at school…parents need to pay attention to their children and look for any warning signs…also helps to talk to the child daily about school and staying abreast of the happenings. Online bullying is just as bad and parents need to monitor their children’s social media accounts. Stay open with your kids… I even am my child’s friend on Facebook. I like to keep an eye out this way.

Bullying in school can be prevented by higher teacher pay, smaller numbers of students per classroom, highly trained teachers, good management, and other methods. I went to a school with no more than 15 students per class and good teachers, never had issues with bullies. Some schools will be worse than others but talking to your kid really helps as well.

If we can’t get people to stop killing each other first, how can we expect to stop bullying?