How Can Bullying Be Stopped?

[QUOTE=Sauer]

I walk freely every day knowing others may have a gun and it doesn’t bother me in the least. I’ve carried a gun for over 20 years as a civilian and not ONCE have I EVER had to draw it. I might add that if you have a right to walk freely unarmed, that should not infringe upon my own rights to walk armed. A gun tool, nothing more.

[/QUOTE]A tool? A tool for what? To kill someone? It is a weapon not a tool. Screwdriver is a tool. I guess it is something some people cannot understand. You are used to this and you a tradition and it is a kind of a weapon culture.

What are the numbers? How many murders, intentional or by accident do you have there? How many times you had a guy taking a gun and shoot some random people? I am not saying that this wouldn’t happen if you are not allowed to carry a gun i just think that the problem began a long time ago when you got used on it. It really isn’t a normal thing to carry a loaded gun around, whatever you say.

[QUOTE=djordjem87]

A tool? A tool for what? To kill someone? It is a weapon not a tool. Screwdriver is a tool. I guess it is something some people cannot understand. You are used to this and you a tradition and it is a kind of a weapon culture.

What are the numbers? How many murders, intentional or by accident do you have there? How many times you had a guy taking a gun and shoot some random people? I am not saying that this wouldn’t happen if you are not allowed to carry a gun i just think that the problem began a long time ago when you got used on it. It really isn’t a normal thing to carry a loaded gun around, whatever you say.

[/QUOTE]
Yes, a tool designed to kill. That said, it is also very challanging at worst to hit a target out to a 1000 meters.

Since you know I am from the United States, may I ask what country you’re from?

Ironic, with all those statistics you want to throw around, outside of the military, I don’t know of anyone killed by a weapon.

Dosen’t France have “hard” gun laws? You want to know how long a camel jockey would last in my “neighborhood” if they wanted to start shooting people? News flash, they wouldn’t last long. California has some of the strongest laws in the US. Didn’t help those people at that Christmas party did it? Ironic, we probably had at least 50 guns at our Christmas party. Guess what, not one single person was killed, even with over 2,000 rounds being shot. Go figure…

[QUOTE=Sauer]

Yes, a tool designed to kill. That said, it is also very challanging at worst to hit a target out to a 1000 meters.

Since you know I am from the United States, may I ask what country you’re from?

Ironic, with all those statistics you want to throw around, outside of the military, I don’t know of anyone killed by a weapon.

Dosen’t France have “hard” gun laws? You want to know how long a camel jockey would last in my “neighborhood” if they wanted to start shooting people? News flash, they wouldn’t last long. California has some of the strongest laws in the US. Didn’t help those people at that Christmas party did it? Ironic, we probably had at least 50 guns at our Christmas party. Guess what, not one single person was killed, even with over 2,000 rounds being shot. Go figure…

I just recently read a story about a father who killed his daughter by accident. It just one case I can recall because it was a week ago maybe.
Okay. A camel jockey. Really? You really think middle east people are the problem? I see we cannot have a debate on this. My attitude is that 50 guns on a Christmas party is idiotic thing to have in your life and I see you have prejudice that I cannot really understand. How strong are the laws in California? Total ban of guns? The problem is in years of cowboy attitude and please do not tell me about gun culture or tradition. The whole tradition of your country is 240 years old maximum. Tradition is something else and it surely doesn’t involve carrying a gun. That is too violent for my taste or for any sane person.

[/QUOTE]

You can’t save people from themselves or stupid accidents.

A gun is a tool designed to kill. There are basic procedures to follow for safety. I’ve been around guns all my life, hard to believe, but haven’t even had ONE negligent discharge.

No, I don’t think people from the middle east are all of our problems, but I do believe extremists who embrace a religious belief that they have to kill in the name of their religion ARE part of the problem. All one has to do is look to 9/11 or Paris to understand this.

Hard to believe, but about 50 guns and not ONE person killed. Wow, must be a record :slight_smile:

You still didn’t answer my question, what country are you from? Hard to believe, but a person as myself who has embrace firearms has actually traveled the world, and am somewhat familiar with other cultures. I’m curious as to your culture and what you’re familiar with. I looked at all of your previous posts, and apologies, I must of missed where you mentioned you’re from. I’ve always found it ironic that suppressors are so easy to obtain in Europe but guns another story, but here in the US, guns are easy to obtain and you wouldn’t believe the hoops you have to jump through to own a couple of cans.

This is I do know… No matter what country you live in, there are people with evil in their hearts and they would do you harm if they chose to do so. This is one reason why I’m greateful to live in the United States of America, I have the option to protect myself, less California, New York, Massachusetts, Maryland and New Jersey (even though I lived in all of them in the past except for Jersey, but dated a girl from there anyways LOL).

[QUOTE=djordjem87]

The whole tradition of your country is 240 years old maximum. Tradition is something else and it surely doesn’t involve carrying a gun. That is too violent for my taste or for any sane person.

[/QUOTE]
Funny. My grandparents came over on a boat after 1900 to flee Russia. Both my grandfathers worked in coal mines and died before they were 50.

I consider myself a “good middle class” through hard work.

So, although Amercia may have traditions with guns, my entire family is still somewhat new in this country.

However, because I’m where I’m at through both being blessed and hard work, THIS is why the United States, although far from perfect, is one of the GREATEST nations on this earth :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Sauer]

Funny. My grandparents came over on a boat after 1900 to flee Russia. Both my grandfathers worked in coal mines and died before they were 50.

I consider myself a “good middle class” through hard work.

So, although Amercia may have traditions with guns, my entire family is still somewhat new in this country.

However, because I’m where I’m at through both being blessed and hard work, THIS is why the United States, although far from perfect, is one of the GREATEST nations on this earth :slight_smile:

[/QUOTE]So you are of Slavic origins just like me. I agree that it is one of the better places to live in right now. Very unfortunate about your grandparents but we drifted off of the subject here. Bullying and violence is also a big problem there even though as I said it is a great place to live in. My thoughts were about general violence that is more prominent in America and it is getting worse. Starting from violent movies all the way down to ability to carry guns.

Eminem has a verse that is very good for this discussion. I think he is one of the best modern critics of the society.

"So who’s bringin the guns in this country? (Hmm?)
I couldn’t sneak a plastic pellet gun through customs over in London
And last week, I seen a Schwarzaneggar movie
where he’s shootin all sorts of these motherfuckers with a uzi
I sees three little kids, up in the front row,
screamin “Go,” with their 17-year-old Uncle
I’m like, “Guidance - ain’t they got the same moms and dads
who got mad when I asked if they liked violence?”

The song is Who Knew.

I personally feel the best way bullying can be stopped is by bullying the bully. If a bully does not know or has never experienced what bullying feels like, he may not know how others feel. Cyber bullies need to be publicly humiliated because their actions are usually so gruesome their victims commit suicide and do other dangerous things to themselves.
A taste of their own medicine is what I recommend.

[QUOTE=djordjem87]

So you are of Slavic origins just like me. I agree that it is one of the better places to live in right now. Very unfortunate about your grandparents but we drifted off of the subject here. Bullying and violence is also a big problem there even though as I said it is a great place to live in. My thoughts were about general violence that is more prominent in America and it is getting worse. Starting from violent movies all the way down to ability to carry guns.

Eminem has a verse that is very good for this discussion. I think he is one of the best modern critics of the society.

"So who’s bringin the guns in this country? (Hmm?)
I couldn’t sneak a plastic pellet gun through customs over in London
And last week, I seen a Schwarzaneggar movie
where he’s shootin all sorts of these motherfuckers with a uzi
I sees three little kids, up in the front row,
screamin “Go,” with their 17-year-old Uncle
I’m like, “Guidance - ain’t they got the same moms and dads
who got mad when I asked if they liked violence?”

The song is Who Knew.

[/QUOTE]
Could you explain to me why where some of the cities in the US who have the most stringant gun laws in America have some of the worst gun violence?

As noted before, a pretty smart guy once said that good people don’t need laws to follow, but bad people will always find away around the law.

Movies and games are nothing but bull shite when it comes to guns. And as stated previsouly, in general, people who write gun laws and those who write about guns know nothing about the subject.

A good article IMO for you to read…

http://thefederalist.com/2015/02/24/14-things-everyone-should-understand-about-guns/

On a side note, I asked you a direct question, that being which country do you currently live in? If you can’t answer a direct question, I will agree with you that any discussion with you is pointless.

Bullying usually starts at home. When kids are bullied they feel the need to get rid of their pain and they bully others. Most of the time the bully is either being abused themselves or there is some underlying issue why they are taking out anger. Notice I said usually. At times there are cases where the bully is born with a psychological problem. I feel to stop bullying everyone needs to work together.

I am not sure that it can be stopped. However kids need to be taught to believe in themselves and know their worth. There are a lot of motivational videos online and there are also numerous places where kids can develop their talents. If a kid who is bullied is assisted to develop their abilities and gain a sense of self-worth, I think that they will be less likely to take drastic action. As for the bullies, they have been there through out history. The thing is to make their input meaningless. A child should be allowed to develop so much passion for their hobbies and talents so that any outside negative input is disregarded. I experienced some bullying as a child and I wish the adults in my life had known about it and done this for me then. That’s what I would do for my children.

I think it can be stopped by stigmatizing the bully.

What is wrong with the bully? Didn’t get enough love? Low self esteem? Didn’t learn how to socialize appropriately? Got some deep seated issues they’re hiding? Afraid of being seen as a “loser” themselves?

Bullying is only a problem because society is secretly behind the bully, not the victim. We have to see the bully has the problems, and their bullying points out that THEY are messed up. Stigmatize the bully, and nobody will want to be one.

[QUOTE=butterflygirl]

Oh my goodness, Smithee… that’s an excellent question. I had to think a minute to get my feelings together on it (as someone who was bullied myself much of my school years… I suppose we all were unless we were the ones doing the bullying!)

I think that there is a way that would make it stop, but it would be so very difficult to put into action and make stick. I think the only way to make it stop is to make the bullies get tired of it and “go find something else to do.” And the way they’d get tired of it is if they’re ignored. That’s the way to do it… but like i said, it would be difficult at best.

To ignore bullies, we’d have to build very high self esteem in the people being bullied. (For sake of making points here, I’ll think about school bullying although I know it’s very bad in the adult world, too. :frowning: ) We have to reinforce in the kids the truth that they are GREAT and what some pathetic self-hating bully says is just to rile them. By responding, they give the bully power. When bullies see someone cowering or being affected, guess what? They get even worse. But… that’s so hard to do.

The kids need to know that they’re NOT what the bully is saying. That they’re beautiful and lovable and that the bully is the one who is feeling bad about his or herself.

I’m talking about verbal bullying here… I realize that sometimes there are physical bullies and no amount of ignoring them is going to make it stop. I have no idea what to do about that kind. Can you think of anything?

[/QUOTE]
I don’t necessarily think that we need to give children a super high confidence level. That’s honestly a problem since lots of people my age (I’m 18) feel really entitled. What we need to do is to teach children to do is simply ignore them as you said earlier. There’s no need to give them a whole load of cockiness. That will present its own problems.

When people say the answer is to build confidence, so the bullying doesn’t affect you, is exactly saying that the problem lies with the victim, not the bully. It is saying, the bullying is ok, your response of being victimized is not ok, and you must build your self esteem.

It should not matter what one’s level of self esteem is, it is not up to the victim to have to fix themselves.

The problem is the instigator. The instigator needs to be seen as the problem, and the attention should be put one what is wrong with the instigator, not the victim.

That’s such a tough question… How can we even stop bullying? Hmmm… For starters, let’s stop putting too high expectations on our kids. The bullies are mostly insecure children or people who grew up with a lot of strict rules. They are the people who started having low self-esteem because their parents wanted them to be a certain way. In a way to defy their parents, they bully other children, mostly those who are achievers.

Another way to stop bullying is to stop societal standards. Most of the time, people online are bullied because they don’t fit into a certain standard set by society. And if they’re different, they are bullied. Stop this notion that we need to be alike to fit in. Truth is, we are different people and we have our own unique characteristics. The moment we start embracing that, the less bullying will happen.

Lastly, we need to start enforcing respect again. Lots of time, respect is lost because of the anonymity we have online. And when respect is lost, bullying starts. No matter what race, gender or social status a person has, he or she is still worthy of respect, remember that.

First off, parents should be monitoring their kids on the internet. Point blank. Secondly, I honestly believe that one good method is that whenever a child has an account somewhere (like facebook) the account is “attached” to an adults account (like a parent or guardian), then anything that is posted on that child’s account shows up on the adults account. This way they can monitor friend request and messages that child receives.

Lastly, parents need to teach their children confidence and to alert them of issues. I was bullied (or at least they tried to bully me) when I was growing up. The only thing was, I stood up for myself and did not allow them to push me around. Over time, the bullying stopped and those same bullies tried to become my friends… kids will be kids. The trick is to make your children understand and know that they can talk to you and give them the confidence to stand up for themselves. You can also start bullying programs in your community or become a part of one. Encourage your local schools to offer a 30 minute to an hour session where kids get together and talk about bullying and so forth. We had one in our school when I was 14 and I am 42 now so I am surprised they don’t have those in the schools now.

The only way to win such an online fight would be to find the true identity of that person and go to police. Otherwise, I would advise you to teach your kids and you friend’s kids to not pay attention up to cyber bullies, they’re only strong if you make them so. Our society needs to realize that this is mainly a problem because people are very sensible, not because those bullies have any real power.

i totally agree…similar thing happened to me but instead i know wrestling, MMA, And Boxing, along with gymnastics and body building. I may look small but i can screw some one up pretty easily.

I like the idea of Social Conditioning, however children should be encouraged to actually vent and condition each other through sports, debate, education, etc. rather than the negative interaction that bullying is.

yes!!!

“starts with violent movies ends with carrying guns”

I call bullshit. All studies so far have shown that violent media (movies, video games, etc.) have no significant impact on the behavior or psychology of people. As for guns, look at countries like Switzerland. There are plenty of people who own and carry firearms there but they don’t have nearly the level of violence we have. Same goes for the Czech Republic (though the latter has other issues). Guns themselves aren’t the issue. The issue is how easy it is to skirt background checks, if any are in place at all, and the factors that cause people to commit acts of violence. Most crime can be traced back to either poverty or upbringing (specifically abuse during upbringing). The better life kids have growing up, the better off they are economically, the better the opportunities they have the less likely they are to commit crimes.