I need help- I think from a Southerner

I have this cast iron skillet that I got from John’s mom. It’s not in such great condition, but I didn’t have one, so who I am to not take what I can get. I’m trying to season it and I think it’s just making it worse.

:frowning: Help?

whats a skillet?

Serious?

[quote=“HottyToddyChick, post: 1094158”]I have this cast iron skillet that I got from John’s mom. It’s not in such great condition, but I didn’t have one, so who I am to not take what I can get. I’m trying to season it and I think it’s just making it worse.

:frowning: Help?[/quote]

Usually cast iron doesn’t look like it’s in good condition when it’s seasoned right. But if you’re finding that your food is sticking in spots, it probably does need to be re-seasoned. Make sure you clean it and most importantly dry it immediately and thoroughly! Preheat your oven to about 300…coat it in lard or crisco (not liquid oil) and put the pan in for about 10-15 minutes…pour off the grease and then stick it back in the over for a couple of hours…it’s not going to look pretty, but that’s ok!

ahhhh…a frying pan

It’s sitting in the oven right now. I tried yesterday for a while, and when it came out it was kinda sticky… That can’t be right! So I just stuck it in for longer.

also to clean it you should only be using a soft ****** and hot water. i have heard not to use soap as it takes the “seasoning” off

******= the soft porous square thing in your sink

Yeah. And a really good cast iron skillet will last well over 100 years. When my grandmother passes, knock on wood not too soon!, I’ll inherit my great grandmother’s

Learn about Cast-Iron Pans, Cast Iron Skillets, Cast Iron Cooking, Cast Iron Cooking Recipes

it sounds like a wok i once had…it had to be wiped clean while hot

Nah.

Cast Iron has to be seasoned just right, it really does make a difference in how the finished product tastes.

We have a cast iron skillet that’s 120 years old, and we use it strictly for cornbread.

It’s the bomb

Okay. I’m going to pull it out, scrub the ever living everything out of it and start from scratch

I love cornbread in a skillet. I haven’t had it in years since the only person that ever made it was my grandmother and we moved when I was little.

My wife can NAIL it:willy_nilly:

Are we still talking about cornbread?

Yeah she doesn’t pole vault

Well not in front of the kids:ninja

It looks much better, even just after scrubbing it!