Is it moral to force men or women to wear veils or any particular garment?

Is it moral to force men or women to wear veils or any particular garment?

I ask this question, because forcing people to do so, seems to go against the notions of freedom, liberty, equality and fraternity. It is an insult to our fiduciary duty to each other.

In many countries, be it a religious, political or social custom; women and men are forced to wear particular garments, veils or beards are two examples of this.

Does this practice of using force go against our fiduciary duty to women and men?

These Golden Rules exists in most religions and cultures.

No one likes to be forced to do anything, this is irrefutable.

In some cultures, force is used to have men and women kowtow to the culture or religion. This is a poor and immoral ideology.

I believe that obliging people to submit to any political, social or religious norm, — without a just cause, — is immoral.

Do you agree?

Forcing adults to do anything they don’t want to do is generally immoral, regardless of religion/culture

Thanks.

I agree, — unless there is a just cause.

Think taxes, jury duty or conscription. These are all forced but have a just cause.

In summary, yes I think it is immoral to FORCE men/women to wear a certain type of garment when it is not viewed as an intentional offense to the institution.

In obvious cases, of course you should uphold a modest appearance for events or places that require to do so (e.g., place of worship, academic environments, funerals, etc.) But to force someone to wear, for example, a veil does go against that person’s freedom and liberty.

Especially when it comes down to religion, doing something just because you’re told to do so makes no sense to me. Religion is to be based on faith and your personal relationship with your god. I consider it a bit deceiving to wear a garment just because you were told you “should,” unless you yourself also believe that wearing that garment symbolizes your spiritual devotion/faith.

notyurgirlfriend

Well put. I agree.