Kinda Interesting

I got started back in my genealogy last night and just found that one of my great-great-great-I don’t know how many- grandmothers was accused of witchcraft during the Salem Witch trials. She was acquited, but her sisters were hanged. Apparently they were part of the “last 5”.

Just thought that was kinda cool and now I have yet another reason to go visit up there.

That is pretty cool… I love knowing my history. its always interesting.

Wow! That’s all I can say.

I just went to a free class at our college about genealogy. Lots of good information there. I’ve just got to make time now to start and make sure I keep researching once I do start.

The biggest thing the presenter said was… Not everything you find on the internet is totally true. Know the sources. Make sure there are original documents. She also said you can get loads of information FREE. Don’t pay for anything unless you have exhausted all searches first.

One really good place to look is genforum.com - people post their research, others compare their dates and info and some people will post the texts they got the info from.

I paid for ancestry.com for a while, but it was so worth it. I’ve seen census sheets and I saw the ship log from when some of my ancestors came over. It was so cool.

I’ve never known much about my history. I’ve been wanting to start researching but just didn’t know where to start. I’ll have to keep this in mind.

If there is any other good info please share. I’d appreciate it.

Here are a few links that were mentioned:

Cyndi’s List of Genealogy Sites on the Internet

www.ellisisland.org/default.asp

Free Genealogy Forms and Charts

Oh and another thing the presenter told us… Search different derivatives of your name – names were often spelled differently (many were recorded phonetically).

[quote=“HottyToddyChick, post: 1092641”]I got started back in my genealogy last night and just found that one of my great-great-great-I don’t know how many- grandmothers was accused of witchcraft during the Salem Witch trials. She was acquited, but her sisters were hanged. Apparently they were part of the “last 5”.

Just thought that was kinda cool and now I have yet another reason to go visit up there.[/quote]

Typically there was no way out of that. Once you were accused, you were going to be put to death.

“Okay if your a wicth you will survive being held under water, with large rocks attached to you, if you’re not a witch, you’ll drown”

Either way…you’re pretty near fucked:D

I don’t have any of the original documents (hard for my dad’s family since it all burned or is in Spanish) but people I get the information from do, so it works out in the end. But I take everything with a grain of salt and once I get past a certain point in my records, I don’t take it seriously.

rootsweb.com is a good one and so is familysearch.org. I use the Personal Ancestral File from Family Search to keep everything straight. It’s super easy to use.

familysearch is good too. I have it bookmarked!

I’m also in the process of getting all my records straight so that I can be a member of Daughters of the American Revolution. I have some Mayflower cousins, but no direct lineage. :frowning: They don’t count the ones that didn’t make it past a certain time frame.

I have an unusual last name and found the first spelling as it is now occured in the 1850 census from what information I have been able to dig up. Interesting what you can learn.

I have bad luck with genealogy. Either I have super common last names with so much information that I’ll never get through or super rare last names with absolutely no information.

Yes, apparently that is the case as you go back further for some things. Just make sure you cite your resources for future reference.

Some other things you might look up to find sources are:

Census records

Birth, death and marriage records

Ships passenger lists, immigration and emigration

Land titles and deeds

Tax records

Wills and probate records

Military records

Cemetery records

Newspapers and books

Church records

I found one with went back to Adam and Eve. I put it in a “fun” family tree just for kicks and giggles. Here in Florida, we had a massive fire that burned the state record building in the 30s. Most of the birth, marriage, and death records were lost. My dad’s family has been in Florida for generation so I’ve pretty much come to a dead end with them.

Adam and Eve, eh? :smiley:

Oh too bad about the fire. Maybe you can find a very distant relative who had copies of some of the records.

BTW… when checking out the Land Titles and Deeds… the presenter mentioned that a lot of times groups of people came from the mother land together and stayed in the same area. Some even married. When researching you can look at neighboring land titles and deeds and possibly find something through that means.

I never thought about looking at land titles. I’ll have to see if those survived. With the last name of Williams, you never know who your related to. I know there’s some records in Cuba but I highly doubt that I’ll ever get to see them.

I can’t research my Dad’s side very well, either. With Baker, there’s just too many of them to sift through.

I just ran across a Blessing who’s father was Blyssynge.

Here’s another thing to share… Label your pictures! I have loads of these very old pictures that weren’t labeled or even in albums of relatives that I may never know who they were. Some look to be from the early 1900s! They have been handed down through the years and I ended up with many of them.

My stepmother has been researching my father’s ancestry and she has come up with some really awesome information.