Lemonade Stand Conundrum

There is a story spreading around about a girl who had her lemonade stand shut down, and was fined £150.

Here is actually an article defending the fine:

What do you think of the situation?

I’m in a Libertarian group on Facebook, and they went crazy when someone posted the link.

I didn’t even know you could fine a 5 year old.

"We are very sorry that this has happened. We expect our enforcement officers to show common sense and to use their powers sensibly.

"This clearly did not happen.

“The fine will be cancelled immediately and we have contacted Mr Spicer and his daughter to apologise.”

I’m glad that the council had some intelligence.[quote=“CulturalBolshevism_mog, post:2, topic:112445, full:true”]
I didn’t even know you could fine a 5 year old.
[/quote]

They probably fined her father who was with her. Though it still had to be terrifying for a child.

Article is made by someone who has no concept of a gray-area.

There is some issue with it. As it does mean that young people can sell items without being charged. People may try to exploit this then…

tl;dr “I enjoy being a contrarian cunt even if it means supporting bullying small children.”

Fine was over the top, just because we have food regulations doesnt mean those who breach them should be treated the same way, obviously a case by case basis is necessary. In this case, politely shutting down the stand is all that is necessary.

You can’t

I think the stand was great. She was learning to communicate with people, having fun alongside instilling a little bit of entrepreneurialism in the kid.

Those bigger people can’t stand the cheap competition.

Agreed. It’s understandable that they closed down the stand, but in this case, it’s not what they did but how they did it.

Tower Hamlets council, says it all.