My Mom

Most of you know, A year ago on Sept. 6 2007, my mother was shot in the head. (right temple)… Since then she had had numerous surgery’s and problems. Last Thursday, they found out the infection in her eye has spread and has gone behind her metal plate towards her brain. They are concerned because if it gets to her brain, she will die. She has been there since Thursday and has had no visitors or anything. She is deeply depressed thinking she has noone. I have been up there and so has my sister, but other than us, noone. I got her balloons and a teddy bear- but that is all she has gotten. I am so upset that noone has come and seen her. I called our church and informed them of the situation- so i believe they are gonna send her the pastor. However, I cant be with her much because I have to work. I dont know what to do. I dont have the money to send her anymore flowers. And i can force people to come by and see her. I am so agravated at the docs beause they are refusing her treatment- she has no insurance and our hospital is a contracted hospital- so she cant get all the treatment she needs. We are trying to get her transfered to a university hospital, but we havent even seen the doc but one time… for some reason theyre not treating her the right way and i dont like this. :frowning: What do I do?

Go in there and demand to see the doctor! Get bitchy about it! Threaten them if they don’t wanna cooperate. That’s so unfair of them to do that!

I hate that this is happening to you. Y’all have been through so much, it just doesn’t seem fair for there to be more. Seriously though, go raise Cain and make them notice you and her and y’all’s situation.

I know when I was dealing with my Dad in the hospital, I had a lot of conversations with the social worker about his care. Does this hospital have one?
If they do, the hospital my Dad was in had people that would bring in their animals and people who would just go see patients but they had to be put on the list.
Maybe they have something like that?

Weve already done that. Thats how she got a PIC line. Im in uniform today, so I cant cause problems. She told me she would call me as soon as the CAT scan comes in.

Not this hospital. Ive checked… I cant believe she has been in there since thursday and noone from my church has come… makes me so mad

that’s crazy. My mom just went thru the same thing tho for a much less serious illness. She sent them a nasty gram email when she got out cuz of the same thing.
I wonder if you called other churches in the area, of the same faith, if they would be able to send people over?

Use the uniform as a form of intimidation then. Be very nice, and sweet and polite and just let them know you are concerned and feel that they are not doing what you feel they should be doing. If you don’t get what you want, ask to speak to that person’s supervisor and just climb the ladder until you get what you need.

V can you pull aside some of her nurses? When my gram was in the hospital, they were able to arm my dad with the right questions to ask and how to demand the proper care, treatments, etc. Your nurses will be with her more than anyone and know the ins and outs. If you can get one of her nurses in your camp, they are a wealth of information. Barring that, I have to agree with HTC to a point. Get very firm with them until you get the result you want. You don’t have to cause a scene, but you can be firm and to the point with them…unfortunately, you have to sort of be your own advocate and don’t be afraid to get a little bit hostile to get it.

Ive already spoken with the nurses. Weve also expressed concern and mentioned to go to another hospital… nothing helped. My sister called from IOWA and raised HELL… … This hospital is ridiculous

I did talk to my church and she says she will send the pastor over… we will see.

I and my mother have dealt with so many doctors when it comes to my Hydrocephalus, and, incompetence and such asinine bullshit from medical staff it’s ridiculous. To get answers you need to speak up about it like everyone else has said. I hope she pulls through and I hope they finally get off their asses and do something.

V send me her info (hospital name address her name etc) i want to send flowers to her (wont sign the card, will just put someone who cares for you) i know how frustrating it can be dealing with the hospital. see what the CT scan says first and then go from there.

i am a firm believer that flowers make you feel better so besides my prayers, thats what i can do to help

[quote=“fuzzwifers, post: 1079641”]V send me her info (hospital name address her name etc) i want to send flowers to her (wont sign the card, will just put someone who cares for you) i know how frustrating it can be dealing with the hospital. see what the CT scan says first and then go from there.

i am a firm believer that flowers make you feel better so besides my prayers, thats what i can do to help[/quote]
that is so awesome of you! :thumbup

[quote=“fuzzwifers, post: 1079641”]V send me her info (hospital name address her name etc) i want to send flowers to her (wont sign the card, will just put someone who cares for you) i know how frustrating it can be dealing with the hospital. see what the CT scan says first and then go from there.

i am a firm believer that flowers make you feel better so besides my prayers, thats what i can do to help[/quote]

Thanks, It would mean so much to her. She feels very alone right now. :frowning: I feel horrible

See if you can talk to Administration of the hospital or even pastoral care (if they have that at that hospital). If anything, I would sign an AMA form and drive her to another hospital yourself (if she is stable).
I hate to hear that she is going thru this, she has been thru entirely way too much already :frowning:

Thats very kind of you :slight_smile:

She has been through too much. She doesnt deserve it all. She is a good person. How would i get ahold of adminstration? Just ask for them?

I, myself, would go down to the front desk (information desk) and ask for them. Tell them your mom is a patient and you have some concerns and feel like your concerns arent being listened to by her nurses on the floor

OK ill try that when I get off work… I am here until 530. Do they only work business hours, because if so - it wont be until wed when I can talk to them

or you could ask to speak to the house or nursing supervisor. they usually have one there round the clock.

also flowers are ordered. please let me know that she got them.

Im not sure what time they are there till. If Admin is gone when you get there, there should be a nurse in charge (at my work they call it a House Supervisor) its the nurse that is in charge after hours over the whole hospital. They usually are pretty good about getting things done. You might could ask for her/him and see if they can handle anything until the next day when Admin comes in.