National Identity

This past week, I have been debating with a lot of my peers around the concept of national identity.

We have been looking at the concept from a variety of perspectives, such as historical, cultural, and ethnic viewpoints, and are still in disagreement.

The main questions we were debating were:

1. Is National Identity something that is reasonable to be proud of, or is it dumb to be proud of achievements for things you did not do?

2. Is a National Identity related to your ancestry, or more so to the ideas you believe in and your cultural practices?

3. Are religion and National Identity separate things, and can foreigners with a different religion, but similar cultural practices still identify with a National Identity?

What are your thoughts on any of the questions above?

I mean yeah. If you associate yourself with that nation, and you wish to identify with it it, to me that’s no different than when people of a certain group are proud of their predecessors(such as Alan Turing for the gay community and martin luther king jr. for the black community.) Also just because one didn’t do it, doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be proud. A parent isn’t not proud when their kid does something (like winning a spelling bee), the parent didn’t participate but they’re proud(depending on the parent of course)

I believe it is more related to cultural practices and beliefs, otherwise why be apart of that nation? Especially today, while it might not be easy, it certainly is easier than 100 years ago to leave your nation for another and have a chance of surviving.

Yes of course. A christian and a muslim can identify as american while still belonging to their respective religious groups. As long as you agree with national customs (such as religious/social freedom/toleration) then there’s no reason to not associate with that nationality(if you wish)

Well I am moderately Patriotic and I am very proud of my country, but of course I acknowledge that as an individual, I didn’t achieve anything to contribute to this. However, I can still be proud of what my country stands for and I believe that it is these attitudes that make said country great.

More so your cultural practices.

Yes, I believe religion and national identity are different. One may be an atheist and still practice the national identity. But I don’t think someone from a different religion can be entirely part of it. It’s either no religion, or the religion that is part of the national identity.

I have never felt a strong sense of national identity as my immediate family has more than one national identity. In any given country, a certain amount of people tend to view me as a foreigner. So I never really felt like I 100% belong anywhere.

The main questions we were debating were:

Is National Identity something that is reasonable to be proud of, or is it dumb to be proud of achievements for things you did not do?
It is reasonable to be proud of. Would you not be proud of a sister for getting into college? Would you not be proud of yourself for running a marathon? On an existential level though, it would be, however existentialism is stupid and only for the ignorant.

Is a National Identity related to your ancestry, or more so to the ideas you believe in and your cultural practices?
Both, however the ideas you believe are a larger measure than ancestry.

Are religion and National Identity separate things, and can foreigners with a different religion, but similar cultural practices still identify with a National Identity?
Religion and National Identity are very different. See all of Europe.

What are your thoughts on any of the questions above?
Good questions, pretty fun quiz I guess.