I bet you wonder who I am…since I’ve not been here in so long. Well unfortunately, I have…and still am…recovering from a fire gone bad. My husband was always the poster child for not using gas on a fire. Its one thing to get it started, but once lit, NEVER bring it out.
Well, we had a fire going, but having some wet wood, couldnt get it going…and stay going. We’d get it flaming, but then we’d stick some of the wood that wasnt so dry and it would go out. Well, he decided to put some gas in a cup and get it going (mistake #1). Well my 11 mo old baby and I were sitting about 4 feet away (mistake#2). It didnt immediately go up, but sat for just a second…making my husband put just a little more. It finally blew up like a bomb. It knocked him off his feet, which made the little gas left in the cup splatter on us!!! The fire did not seem to be going at all…but there were just enough coals to heat up the fumes causing this tragedy.
We were very lucky. Most burns were superficial to 2nd degree. Actually the baby’s bandages were taken off yesterday. His wounds are deemed healed. Of course now there will be several weeks of massaging cream on his burns to help them not scar. I still have a few wounds that are open and still need covered. Luckily he was on my lap and I was able to put him out immediately.
You will never know the pain…and not just physical pain that I endured that night. I have had nightmares of the images that will never leave my mind. So please take heed!!! PLEASE NEVER EVER USE GAS!!! My husband was the poster child for not using gas on a fire. He always thought he was safe with it. There is NO SAFE WAY TO USE GAS ON A FIRE…NEVER!!!