New Users Introduce Yourselves!

Hey! What are your views on the topics you mentioned?

It’s getting better. Do you personally own any firearms?

Hey. To sum it all up:

1. I think the UK gun law is a bit strict regarding what you can and can’t own. I quite like the licencing process but its certainly not perfect
  2. I think there should be absolutely no restrictions on freedom of speech with the exception of incitement of violence.
  3. I support the death penalty for crimes such as murder and rape
  4. While i myself am non-religious, i can identify and appreciate the christian foundations of the west. Islam… well thats a topic for another debate.
  5. Being a UKIP member, im a very staunch brexiteer :joy:.

What about yourself?

Hi Alex, welcome to YD!

How are you? :slight_smile:

How come to study chemistry if you’re so interested in politics?

Please message myself or other Moderators if you have any queries!

Not at the moment. I’ve got an assortment of air rifles and air pistols though. I’m about mid-way through getting my shotgun licence.

That’s nice, I own a few small rifles, they’re a lot of fun. Air rifles just aren’t the same once you’ve shot a real one.

Hi! I’m good thanks, yourself?

To be brutally honest i don’t know why i am studying chemistry. I feel you need to be quite careful studying politics and it doesn’t offer much job security. With chemistry you’re pretty much guaranteed a job when you come out of uni and the pay is ridiculously generous.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Interesting :smile:

1. I am satisfied with the current state of gun control. However, if we are to go down the road towards more liberal views on gun ownership, we should try and follow Switzerland’s example and try to maintain a strong grip on it.

2. I am a supporter of freedom of speech, with the only restriction being on deliberate incitement of hate (which should be very much defined as separate from ‘criticism’ (I’m thinking of Islam here)).

3. I do not support the death penalty; I could never reconcile with the idea that the wrong person could be executed.

4. I am non-religious but I really do not like religion, nor do I respect it. I would argue that we should move towards a new society, based on rationality and logic.

5. I am also a very staunch supporter of British withdrawal from the European Union.

Yeah i get that. I really love shooting target but i’m not too fond of the intrusive nature of the section 1 licence. I hope to get one once i’ve got a nice income though.

Bingo, i couldn’t agree more.

Again, here i couldn’t agree more.[quote=“LiberalBrit, post:1098, topic:106680”]
I do not support the death penalty; I could never reconcile with the idea that the wrong person could be executed.
[/quote]

So its the finality of the death penalty that repels you? if so, I can understand that perspective.[quote=“LiberalBrit, post:1098, topic:106680”]
I am non-religious but I really do not like religion, nor do I respect it. I would argue that we should move towards a new society, based on rationality and logic.
[/quote]

I used to be a very militant atheist but as i drifted further to the right i got more friendly with western Christianity. I recommend you listen to some of Peter Hitchens’ talks and debates. He’s far more articulate than myself and provides a very admirable perspective.

Lovely Jubley. May i ask, are you a UKIP supporter? If not which other political party?

I suppose so; the fact we can never go back, even if we are wrong, is not something that sits well with me.

I don’t call myself a militant Atheist. I react to religion in the same way that I react to communism, or any other ideology I disagree with - I criticise and propose an alternative, but I respect those who choose to peacefully adhere to those beliefs.

I used to be a UKIP supporter, but they are a little too right-wing for me. At the minute, I am a floating voter - I’ll vote for any party so long as they are pro-Brexit, not hostile towards the Monarchy and generally not loony-left.

That’s fine. I can understand that.[quote=“LiberalBrit, post:1101, topic:106680”]
but I respect those who choose to peacefully adhere to those beliefs.
[/quote]
I concur. Do you think there are some religions that are objectively better than others? By that i mean their views are more compatible with western cultural values of general progressivism and classical liberalism.[quote=“LiberalBrit, post:1101, topic:106680”]
generally not loony-left.
[/quote]
Ha, yeah. Although i’m a UKIP member id say i’m fairly friendly to the Conservatives.

My poor American heart

Because it more then likely doesn’t effect you.

One needs a background check and id, then they can buy a semi automatic rifle ie ar 15 in most cantons ,

Who defines “hate speech” and how do you define hate? typically it’s arbitrary or vague and used as a political weapon.

I would say that, as a result of the United Kingdom being built upon Christian ideology, Christianity is the religion that is best suited to the United Kingdom. I, however, say that irrationality should be avoided at all times, and so selecting a “better” religion is like selecting a better form of execution - one may be better than others, but I’d rather avoid them all equally.

A lot of things do not infringe on my life, but I still offer my opinion when asked and where appropriate.

I would say the word ‘abuse’ fits nicely to explain my definition of hate. Hate, or the promotion of hate, suggests intolerance and venom towards something, which differs from criticism in that those who criticise do not hate the individual and do not necessarily intend to offend or harm.

However, I do take your point as such definitions are hard to completely explain - I suppose that is the problem with modern society.

The reason is because hate is an artifact of perspective, i.e it cannot be objectively defined through law. You can ban specific words or phrases but any ban on hate speech will give the state a tool to pursue its political foes, there are German citizens who have been raided and arrested for posting hate speech on Facebook which was actually just criticism of merkles policy. One person was raided because they posted a joke meme.

i can agree with that statement

While that’s not a view i wholly agree with, its a perfectly admirable one.

I would, of course, not support the vagueness of saying “hate speech” in law; I do, of course, refer to sepcific abuses on racial, sexual and ethnic lines. I, however, completely understand your point and do agree.

Hey All, saw this on Facebook, friends recommended seems a very accessible effective platform! Sixth Form Welsh Student studying chem biol math but who loves his politics and economics! Split about my career choice with being a vet (farmers son ) or studying economics/ PPE (something like that anyway!)

Welcome to the forum Morley!