Nuclear power - Essay Help

[CENTER][SIZE=3][/CENTER]
[/SIZE][SIZE=3]Is nuclear power a viable energy source?
INTRO
With the exponential increase in energy consumption comes a major issue that cannot be overlooked. An issue that has potential to put an end to a huge amount of pollution, and move man-kind in a giant leap forward to a world in which energy problems never rear their ugly head. Nuclear power is the most advantageous energy source because it is the safest, cleanest, and cheapest.

BODY1-1 safest
Nuclear war vs. nuclear power
The dangers of Nuclear Power have been highly exaggerated by both the media, and the public. Nuclear power is being classified in the same category as Hydrogen bombs just because they work on the same concept as nuclear fission. There seems to be an idea that if we rid the world of Nuclear Power, this will somehow result in a reduction of the Hydrogen bomb. A hydrogen bomb is the fusion of an isotope of Hydrogen called Tritium into Helium. This process requires extremely high temperatures to work. An atomic bomb has to detonate just to provide the necessary conditions for a hydrogen bomb to work. In an atomic bomb, an extremely large amount of a highly unstable element like Uranium or Plutonium is detonated by a chunk of TNT. This TNT causes the neutrons in the unstable element to shoot out, but becasue the element is so compressed by the TNT, the neutrons have no choice but to shoot through the remaining uranium or plutonium to escape. This causes the Uranium to start a chain reaction where the unstable Uranium or Plutonium becomes a more stable element. When this process occurs, the energy needed to hold the less stable element together is released… This would not be possible in a nuclear power plant because the amount of Uranium used simultaneously is millions of time less.
Nuclear power works in the same concept as an atomic bomb would, but can be controlled. In Nuclear power, a large amount of Uranium is put together. Then a special neutron-absorbing material called Boron is inserted between portions of the Uranium. With this, the rate at which the chain reaction proceeds can be controlled resulting in a slow burn instead of an explosion. The heat generated by the nuclear fission is used to heat water into steam that turns a generator.
Furthermore, the Isotope of Uranium “U-235” that is used in Nuclear power only makes up about 0.7% of Uranium. The more common isotope “U-238” actually slow the process down. You need a high concentration of U-235 to make a bomb. If the reactor gets too hot, the control rods are lowered in and it cools down. There is also sets of emergency control rods that automatically drop in and shut the reactor down completely in emergency situations.
The Chernobyl Disaster
The only major disaster involving nuclear power plants has been the Chernobyl disaster. A large amount of radiation escaped from a reactor. Hundreds of thousands of people in Russia were exposed to the radiation. 12 died within the first couple weeks, and in the coming years, thousands more may die. The Soviet scientists have since then admitted that the reactors at Chernobyl were mismanaged and lacked many important safety features. Since then, all power plants have been equipped with state-of-the-art safety measures and no other disasters have occurred. The power plants in existence today are extremely safe; much safer than other types of energy-producing plants.
Even the Chernobyl disaster that has potential of killing a few thousand people in the upcoming years cannot compare to the casualties caused by other industries. The automobile industry, with their ubiquitous and unhealthy smog, causes 50,000 deaths a year. In fact, the coal power industry, a competing source of power with nuclear power plants, produces evident damage from acid rain and kills about 30,000 people per year with air pollution. In fact, all the deaths that will eventually be caused by the Chernobyl disaster, the largest ever nuclear disaster, comprise less than the number of deaths caused by coal-burning pollution each year. (Nuclear Politics)
Disposal Problems
There is also much hype over the media about disposal problems. When an element is unstable, it is continually breaking down into a more stable element. This happens at a slow, constant rate without an external stimuli, and releases energy as it breaks down. This is radiation. Because it takes so long for nuclear waste to be broken down, it cannot be disposed of in the usual way. Currently, many nuclear wastes are stored in special pools at the reactors of power plants. The United States plans to move all of it’s nuclear waste to a state-of-the-art remote underground dump by 2010.
One of the biggest advantages of nuclear power is how clean it is. With nuclear power, there is no pollution. In a world plagued by what seems like an inevitable meltdown of the icecaps due to pollution, more unnecessary pollution from coal plants cannot be afforded.
Breeder Reactors
In development is a new technology called breeder reactors. Breeder reactors are used today to create Plutonium-239. This is what is used for our atomic bombs. These types of reactors are some of the best kept secrets in the world today. On the other hand, fast breeder reactors used only with the intentions for energy production would produce a mixture of Plutonium-239, 240, 241, and 242 as well as U-238 and U-235. It is pretty much impossible to separate Plutonium-239 from the other isotopes to use for bomb making. The British, Russians, French, and USA have all tried it and came out unsuccessful. If one tries to make a bomb with a mixture of these Plutonium and Uranium isotopes, it would not work. Unless one has pure Plutonium-239, the bomb will do nothing. This type of nuclear power would be a great way to prevent terrorist and others with mal-intentions from using the nuclear waste in any harmful way. A fast breeder reactor is a capable of producing much more energy and only produces short lives radioactive waste.

SUPPLY
Another advantage of nuclear power is supply. 24% of the Uranium supply in Australia, and 9% in Canada.
Cheapest
One ton of uranium produces more energy than is produced by several million tons of coal or several million barrels of oil.(Nuclear Politics)

CONCLUSION
[/SIZE]

The problem I’m having is that, in this MLA style paper… I am having troubles seperating it into 3 main points. It is for an English class, and it NEEDS to be 3 main points. All the points seem to mesh together though.

If you can give me some advice as to how to organize this, or content to add, I would REALLY appreciate it!

Ok, I’ve read your other two threads in their entirety, and now this one. Seems to me like you’re trying to get people here to do your work for you. Just sayin’.

You read that entire thing in less than 3 minutes? I’m impressed :slight_smile:

Also, as you can see… I wrote it. I’m asking for advice? What is the intent of your post? Are you trying to offend? Flame? Start drama? I don’t see your point lol

[quote=“Shygirl, post: 1083680”]You read that entire thing in less than 3 minutes? I’m impressed :slight_smile:

Also, as you can see… I wrote it. I’m asking for advice? What is the intent of your post? Are you trying to offend? Flame? Start drama? I don’t see your point lol[/quote]

:wtf:I think she is basically saying that you’ve come on this forum, you’ve been rude, insulted people, and made it obvious that you are only here to receive advice for your coursework (which you don’t seem grateful for). Also the fact that if you don’t like someones response you start insulting them.

And the reason your here is because you’re wanting other people to do your work for you instead of doing it yourself or going to your teachers for help.

After you’ve completed your coursework will you still be here?

[quote=“Laurs, post: 1083681”]:wtf:I think she is basically saying that you’ve come on this forum, you’ve been rude, insulted people, and made it obvious that you are only here to receive advice for your coursework (which you don’t seem grateful for). Also the fact that if you don’t like someones response you start insulting them.

And the reason your here is because you’re wanting other people to do your work for you instead of doing it yourself or going to your teachers for help.

After you’ve completed your coursework will you still be here?[/quote]

If I was here simply for my coursework, don’t you think I would have picked a more intellectual forum. From what i’v seen, this forum doesn’t exactly have the greatest minds in the world.

I came here to bounce ideas off of people, and inspire new ideas. I came here for intellectual gratification through spontaneus conversation over random issues. The brain doesn’t simply formulate a completely new idea on a concept. It takes external stimulation; at least in my case. Can you blame me? I’m blonde. :frowning:

This all reminds me of the person who visits a friend and lets their dog shit on the friends floor and then says what is the problem. I tell ya the internet is just an amazing thing. Somehow I don’t think this is a shy person.

Really, do you think I talk in real life? Think about it… could I ever address these questions to my peers? I’m 17. I’m a freshman in college. Only my professors can see my point of view and understand the point i’m trying to make. Half the boys I talk to run away when they find out my age, much less my interests.

If I tried to conversate these problems with my peers I would be dissapointed more than I am on this forum. The difference is that my peers form a very delicate, complicated web of populartity that I have to ensure I stay above.

On here, I can get straight to the point and express my ideas without fear of my friends thinking i’m weird.

So excuse my blunt honesty, but I am only here to learn. Learning is something I enjoy. I don’t understand how someone can make FRIENDS online. It’s not like you can take them shopping or to the mall.

A friend is someone you create a bond with, who you can chat to about anything and everything, You don’t have to meet up with them in person to become friends. There are lots of people who have chatted to friends online for many years and have kept in touch, if its not called friendship, what is it called?

You know, there is a very harsh stereotype for people who prefer to make friends online…

just saying.

I’d call them correspondants if anything. Think about how many people are exploited each year becasue they thought someone online was their “friend”.

If you want blunt I think in real life if you act like you do here I would call you a stuck up bitch.

Your social skills are lacking. It is not a matter of being shy. You are making excuses.

I’m sure that people who have friends online do actually have lives, and have many friends in person. However, some people like to sit down and have a chat online, theres nothing wrong with that.

You’re giving the stereotypical view that people who have friends online do not have any friends who are not on the computer. Thats a stereotype, it doesn’t apply to every individual who uses the internet to chat to people.

I have alot of friends who I know through life, and not the computer, I also have friends who I chat to online. Theres nowt wrong with that.

My only comment is that the essay is rather amatuer, word choice sentence structure, grammer used.

Get some references in there to books, articles online quote them into the essay to back facts up.

Im not being nasty, you wanted help not bitchyness, so heres some help.

ok i choose not to get into the debate going on here… in answer to you question… (i have no idea what its about) but with any essay plan it… for each point… makebullet points of what will be said and just try to plan it so ur not corssing over too much… im sure there is gogin to be some cross over their normally is…

[quote=“Alien Allen, post: 1083687”]If you want blunt I think in real life if you act like you do here I would call you a stuck up bitch.

Your social skills are lacking. It is not a matter of being shy. You are making excuses.[/quote]

So you would rather I be dishonest? You don’t like how honest I am? :eek

[quote=“Shygirl, post: 1083686”]You know, there is a very harsh stereotype for people who prefer to make friends online…

just saying.

I’d call them correspondants if anything. Think about how many people are exploited each year becasue they thought someone online was their “friend”.[/quote]
The same could be said about one who uses the internet to get feedback as you are doing. Nothing wrong with doing it in conjunction with the getting input from friends and peers. But you seem to not want to do the latter.

[quote=“Laurs, post: 1083688”]I’m sure that people who have friends online do actually have lives, and have many friends in person. However, some people like to sit down and have a chat online, theres nothing wrong with that.

You’re giving the stereotypical view that people who have friends online do not have any friends who are not on the computer. Thats a stereotype, it doesn’t apply to every individual who uses the internet to chat to people.

I have alot of friends who I know through life, and not the computer, I also have friends who I chat to online. Theres nowt wrong with that.[/quote]

Good, thats your definition of friend. Relative to me, It’s a pen pal. I think it ends there.

[quote=“ConTRo13R, post: 1083689”]My only comment is that the essay is rather amatuer, word choice sentence structure, grammer used.

Get some references in there to books, articles online quote them into the essay to back facts up.

Im not being nasty, you wanted help not bitchyness, so heres some help.[/quote]

The references and quotes will come last. I have a whole Citation page I have to add to this. I want structure 1st though.

Point
Evidence
Analyis
Cross Reference
Explain

Use this structure, for every paragraph, but not in this order, use your own writing technique keep it constructive though :slight_smile:

Oh and use the ‘harvard’ style when referencing and citing quotes