Parents who make a scene in public

I know I’m not a father but I’ve seen maybe one person, who actually talked to their child like a human being instead of yelling at them at the top of their lungs. Am I the only person who thinks parents bringing attention to the fact that their child is acting out are as bad as the child themselves? If you’re child is acting out just bring him to the car. Don’t use idle threats at the top of your lungs.

I say take them to the bathroom and spank them. I cannot STAND for someone to try to get down on a child’s level and “explain” why they shouldn’t do something. You’re an adult, they’re the child…that’s all they need to know.

It’s better than yelling at them in the middle of the store.

I agree to an extent. They need to understand what the spanking is for.

My favorite is when the kid is screaming and crying and wants to not be where ever it is the parent dragged them and the parent says “if you don’t knock it off I’m going to take you home.” No shit! That’s what the kid wants!

My parents always threatened to pull my pants down and spank me right then and there. The sheer thought of that embarrassment was enough to make me behave. But back when I was a kid, we didn’t act the way kids do now.

What I’m talking about, though, is the “honey, we don’t call people stupid because it hurts their feelings. You wouldn’t like it if someone called you stupid, would you???” No, you tell that kid “We don’t do that, you know better!!!” Fuck explaining yourself…they’re a kid and you’re an adult…BECAUSE YOU SAID SO is the only reason tehy need!!! LOL

I agree with that! I don’t have to explain myself to a child. I spent however many years waiting to be old enough to be respected. It’s my turn and damnit, you’ll do as I say. I did my time.

That may be a little harsh. But yes. No need to explain yourself to a five year old. If they’ve heard it once, they should act that way and when they don’t they should be punished. That’s what’s wrong with kids these days. Spankings are called “abuse” now. lol

[quote=“HottyToddyChick, post: 1081764”]I agree with that! I don’t have to explain myself to a child. I spent however many years waiting to be old enough to be respected. It’s my turn and damnit, you’ll do as I say. I did my time.

That may be a little harsh. But yes. No need to explain yourself to a five year old. If they’ve heard it once, they should act that way and when they don’t they should be punished. That’s what’s wrong with kids these days. Spankings are called “abuse” now. lol[/QUOTE]
I absolutely agree w/ you…100%!!!

Let me tell you- the way some children speak to their parents… ooh. If I spoke to mine that way, they’d do just what I plan on doing to mine. And that child will pick his ass up off the floor on the other side of the room. (again, not to be taken literally!)

well true.

But you also need to ask yourself, how did it get as far as it did? Why did the parents need to yell in the first place?

I don’t think you need to spank your kids, or threaten to spank them to get them to listen. All you need to do is be consistent, VERY consistent. If they know what you expect and you are very clear about how they are to behave and you are consistent on keeping them behaved, then you should never need to raise your voice or threaten them…

As a parent I am not against spanking but I feel that most parents do it out of frustration, frustration that was caused by their own lack of consistency. And that doesn’t teach your kids anything.

I made my kids learn earlier rather than later is the muck around while we are out they know when we get home im not going to be a happy chappy.

They dont muck up for the main reason that i dont have to smack them i just buy something they want and play with it in front of them if they are naughty bwahahahaha im a bitch i know but hey it works

[quote=“RecklessTim, post: 1081768”]But you also need to ask yourself, how did it get as far as it did? Why did the parents need to yell in the first place?

I don’t think you need to spank your kids, or threaten to spank them to get them to listen. All you need to do is be consistent, VERY consistent. If they know what you expect and you are very clear about how they are to behave and you are consistent on keeping them behaved, then you should never need to raise your voice or threaten them…

As a parent I am not against spanking but I feel that most parents do it out of frustration, frustration that was caused by their own lack of consistency. And that doesn’t teach your kids anything.[/quote]
This is true, too. I mean, when I was a kid my mom had a certain tone to her voice that I KNEW meant I was in trouble when I heard it. LOL!!! She didn’t have to get to the spankings…she could just give me a look and say something in that tone and I knew that if I didn’t do what I was supposed to I was gonna get a spanking.

I hardly ever got spanked. Once was good enough for me to learn.

I think my mom swatted me once, when I was about 12 or 13, with a belt. I turned around, smiled and asked if it was supposed to hurt. She would smile and that’s when you knew to back off.

My dad’s a Marine. I was very well behaved.

That’s child abuse…

Spanking is NOT child abuse! It’s where you beat your child. If you are hitting a child hard enough to leave marks…that’s abuse!

It is NOT illegal to spank. TRUST me I’ve spoke to a social worker about this whole ordeal.

rofl you must be some 16-19 yr old kid with no kids…

as Shey mentioned there is a HUGE difference between child abuse and spanking/handling the situation.

i will give it a go and try to explain the situation to my kids before I break out the spanking hand lol More often than not, It doesnt work and it leads to me and the child making a scene leaving for some quality time where I try to explain the situation to her and at least present to her the idea of resolving issues without violence.

#1 spanking your child is not child abuse! i am not beating them to within an inch of their life, just swatting them on their ass WITH MY HAND

also dana you dont have kids, so maybe you dont quite understand. i always said that i would never spank my kids (my mom teacher, my dad former marine and police office. i got spanked quite a bit) however reality with your kids hits you like a ton of bricks.

i will try to explain why we dont act a certain way, why we dont say certain things, but kids like some adults, are hard headed and very stong willed. it wont matter what you do or say. however since the birth of my younger two i have learned the art of time out. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. i will spank lauren when needed, and if you have a problem with that, too bad

I disagree, emphatically, 100%!!! I had parents who did the “because I said so” crap and it doesn’t work with all kids! If you don’t respect your kids they won’t respect you. When I was a teen I turned it around on them and did stuff because I SAID so (or wanted to). I am highly highly against authoritarian parenting. It isn’t about getting the kid to bend to your will, it’s about teaching them and equipping them with the knowledge to be able to make the right choices on their own one day. I am not saying I don’t agree with consequences for the kids actions, but why on earth you wouldn’t want to give your child a reason for their punishment bewilders me. They should learn, so they can learn to behave, instead of being scared into submission. Or when Mommy and Daddy are no longer around they won’t feel that threat and they will think they can do anything. (HA look at me…)

PS- I don’t disagree with spanking. BUT I don’t think it should be used as a bargaining tool. There are certain things that call for a spanking, but not everything has to be that severe. And spanking should never ever be done out of anger, and I don’t think it should be done immediately. give the child some time to think about what they’ve done, because often the anticipation of the spanking is much worse than the spanking itself.

This is why I have a difficult time coaching baseball. I normally have to tell the parents at some point in the season “Let me do the coaching, and the next time you step into my dugout, we’ll have problems”