Runescape hosts LGBT pride event, players go absolutely apeshit

what a transparent attempt to reframe post-facto

you’re right, video games have an almost infinite room to put content that nobody has to ever see. Like in the credits, or text files.

I don’t actually care about any gay shit being in a game on principle.

My argument is fairly straightforward:
This instance was shitty community management motivated by political activism.
How large or small the event was is fairly irrelevant to this point.
Whether or not the symbolic act of activism is fundamentally motivated by emotional connections to certain people is irrelevant as well. A Klansman burning a cross is a political act his motivation.

lol nerd

runescape is an mmo
there are no credits
stop pretending to be retarded

that is the dumbest shit i have ever heard, 99.9% of games you aren’t supposed to go digging through the game files

which, by the developers’ own word, is false

given that your first point is based on a false assumption this point can also get dumpstered[quote=“Ricky, post:81, topic:111911”]
Whether or not the symbolic act of activism is fundamentally motivated by emotional connections to certain people is irrelevant as well. A Klansman burning a cross is a political act his motivation.
[/quote]

your problem is you see everything within political context and refuse to see it otherwise, even when it is pretty blatantly not
your argument relies on the act being political, and it’s political because you say it is, even if the devs say otherwise, because thats how you feel
your argument is straightforward, but still shitty[quote=“Ricky, post:81, topic:111911”]
lol nerd
[/quote]

the event is totally political and there’s no point in denying that
art is, however, almost always political and a video game being political isn’t an issue
specifically, the game belongs to the team, not to the reddit community and the team should put whatever political opinions in the game they see fit, and if someone disagrees with them then they can disagree on the grounds of it being a bad political opinion, not that they shouldn’t have put it in the game

you realise that they affect the content people write about, the opinions they present in their work and the political opinions they support in their work, though, right?

I’m not moving goalposts lol.
That statement is about as convincing as someone arguing the confederate flag now stands for Southern Pride.

>MMOs can’t have credits
r u retarded?

tons of games have easter-eggs in the game files for enthusiasts and mod devs.
just because you might be a moron who doesn’t know how to touch program files without breaking something doesn’t mean everyone else is.

>oh shit, people are mad, better come up with an excuse
>u-uh, actually, it’s about pride for everyone in Runescape!

lmao

-----[quote=“Ricky, post:81, topic:111911”]
I don’t actually care about any gay shit being in a game on principle.

My argument is fairly straightforward:
This instance was shitty community management motivated by political activism.
How large or small the event was is fairly irrelevant to this point.
[/quote]

yeah you’re arguing it being bad community management…
but it isn’t
it’s them putting their political opinions in a game
it’s “bad” from the perspective of trying to please fucking everyone, which they aren’t

>making the majority of people mad
>not bad community management

This is literally my argument, yes.

tbh i’d need to see more stats about the community reaction given we’ve seen a reddit strawpoll which was apparently raided by 4chan (also need confirmation on this)
looks sketchy anyway

i feel like any argument we had along this line would be a dead end tbh

runescape is a browser game that runs in java
it has no credits
you could literally go play it right now without downloading anything and see for yourself

wow is the exception to the rule to pretty much everything that applies to mmos

>putting something in the game files that less than 1% of the playerbase will see, and probably 0% will see if its a console game
>when its intended to honor or show respect
you’re really reaching now, especially since i would easily wager a vast, vast majority of easter eggs are in game
any easter egg hidden in the games files are often specifically aimed at modders or are explicit in content and the only way they could get away with it being hiding it in the games files

>this post clarifies the devs intentions and disproves my argument
>clearly they’re just backtracking because otherwise that would mean im wrong

pretty much the entirety of the first page

if it runs in a browser then you have a potentially infinite number of web-pages to put credits and information on.

>publicly intending to show honor and respect to a certain identity group
>not a political act

no shit, what does that have to do with places you can put them?

What’s more likely- they decided to put a gay pride event in the game, thinking that there wouldn’t be such a public outcry, and not really caring what people who wouldn’t enjoy it thought

OR

They decided to make a weird event where Pride2017, associated with rainbows, is really about ‘pride for everyone’, actually.

you find this kind of backtracking from mods on almost any forum.
if you want to choke on their dicks and believe in their infallibility, then you can.

i guess all the other events tied to real life, like all the charity events, awareness events, should just be relegated to that too, then
i don’t know if you heard, but games are intended to have content and be fun

also, >implying sexuality is purely identity
pulling out all the stops arent we
just look at how political this announcement is

because you’re acting like whenever a dev wants to put something in a game you don’t agree with, they should do it as out of the way as possible, snowflake[quote=“Ricky, post:91, topic:111911”]
you find this kind of backtracking from mods on almost any forum.
if you want to choke on their dicks and believe in their infallibility, then you can
[/quote]

im sure they knew there would be outcry about it and didn’t give a fuck, because it was important to them
you’re arguing its purely a political statement and they’re backtracking by saying its not
even when it was never one to begin with
you’re totally welcome to admit you’re wrong at any time, instead of progressively getting more desperate with your argument
by the way, even in the event text itself, its all-including

why does this have so many fucking replies

Thanks for asking the question on my mind

I thought we were talking about accreditation and the like.
who fucking reads the credits for fun?

lmao are you still trying to argue that gay pride events aren’t political

no, I’m saying that if they do put something political in the game such that it is in the view of the player, then it is a political message to the player. If they didn’t want to send a message in some capacity to players, then they have ample space to hide it away where nobody can see it. You’re the one that’s been trying to argue the purity of it all and how it’s apolitical.

[quote=“Chucklenuts, post:92, topic:111911”]
im sure they knew there would be outcry about it and didn’t give a fuck, because it was important to them[/quote]

this doesn’t change the fact it was bad community management. You can do things that feel important to you that carry negative consequences.

Again, the sum of my arguments are:

1. This was a gay pride event.
  2. Gay pride events are political
  3. This was bad from a community management perspective.
  4. Any decent community manager could have expected the backlash.
  5. Therefore they knew what they were doing when they inserted said politically charged event into the game.

How much it mean to them or how justified they feel they are is irrelevant to this argument.

I said it was a political statement, I never said it was “purely” a political statement.

again

Pride is about bringing communities together and celebrating love and understanding: sentiment that’s close to RuneScape’s heart. There’s no political statement here. Our only aim is to acknowledge and honour an event that promotes empathy, acceptance and love.

It’s not just gay pride, it is much more than that. However, I do like the idea of a Peace and Love event that is inclusive of everyone.

fair enough, but I’m certain they knew there would be backlash, the development team regularly interacts with the community, and every surprise event, no matter how righteous, has had backlash for just being un-polled

see matk’s responses

We are not making any political statement and have no political agenda.

There is no politics involved. All we want to do is spread some love, surely that can be done without any further agenda.

There is no political agenda from us, all we want to do is share some peace and love. I don’t doubt others will bring a political agenda though.

you can also literally just read the associated in game dialogue and official announcement on the runescape site

As far as we were concerned there was no difference between this event and the WWF event, mental health awareness, online bullying or Special Effect events.

I still fucking hate matk though

tbh the amount of backtracking they’ve done makes me respect them less than if they had just done the event and owned up to it.

your entire argument lies on 'hurr if you take them at their word ur just a sheep’
rs devs aren’t infallible and everyone knows it because they’re so active within the community
see:

there’s an osrs streamer named emilyispro that faked leukemia for attention, and mod matk, the very same mod who created this event, made a point of watching her stream and banning players for 1-day who ‘harassed’ her, for doing fairly typical shit like killing her
not only has he stopped, he also owns up to it and accepts that he’s going to be the butt of every ‘streamer favoritism’ joke until the end of time
so no, i don’t have reason to believe they were just backtracking, because rs devs tend to own up to their mistakes, thats the entire reason old school runescape exists