Should women have the vote?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[QUOTE=“frankie, post: 196542, member: 3177”]Then they don’t have to vote. And if they do vote, even if you don’t think they voted for the ‘best’, their vote is still legitimate and they’re participating in democracy.[/QUOTE]

So then why don’t we let lil’ kiddies vote?

[QUOTE=“Ben Bernanke, post: 196545, member: 3058”]16-year-olds are not adults.

They don’t pay taxes. They can’t serve in the military. They can’t perform jury duty.

They have no right to vote.[/QUOTE]
We do pay tax at 16, we can also serve in the military. Unsure on jury duty.

Compulsory voting is good, forces people to educate themselves on basic politics

[QUOTE=“Hedonologist, post: 196529, member: 3”]Why should 16 years olds be given the vote, and if so, why stop there and not let 5 year olds have the vote?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=“Chrome, post: 198000, member: 3050”]So then why don’t we let lil’ kiddies vote?[/QUOTE]

I…
Coming to this political debate website, I almost expected a level of debate (and as an extension, intelligence), high enough to ensure that people wouldn’t use ridiculous forms of argument such as ‘[I]argumentum ad absurdum’.[/I]
Apparently I was wrong. Of course we shouldn’t let five year olds vote. Five year olds can barely decide what their favourite cartoon character is consistently.

Also, women should be given the vote. To suggest that they don’t have the mental capacity to do so is ridiculous.

[QUOTE=“Cornupication, post: 198074, member: 3484”]Of course we shouldn’t let five year olds vote. Five year olds can barely decide what their favourite cartoon character is consistently.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, the same applies to women.

[QUOTE=“Hedonologist, post: 198086, member: 3”]I agree with you, the same applies to women.[/QUOTE]
Wow. You’re making me look like a tree-hugging, feminist hippy compared to you. That’s a disgraceful train of thought. Is there really any point in trying to show you how incredibly ignorant your thoughts are? Because from what I’ve seen on this site, you seem to just stick with “women are stupid because they are.”, and I’m not going to waste time with somebody who won’t listen to reason.

[QUOTE=“Cornupication, post: 198087, member: 3484”]That’s a disgraceful train of thought[/QUOTE]

How is it a ‘disgraceful train of thought’, you’re just sensationalising for show now.

[QUOTE=“Hedonologist, post: 198089, member: 3”]How is it a ‘disgraceful train of thought’, you’re just sensationalising for show now.[/QUOTE]
No, I’m not sensationalising anything. Declaring women to have a lower mental capactiy, to the point where they shouldn’t be allowed to vote is disgraceful.

[QUOTE=“Cornupication, post: 198093, member: 3484”]No, I’m not sensationalising anything. Declaring women to have a lower mental capactiy, to the point where they shouldn’t be allowed to vote is disgraceful.[/QUOTE]

It an obvious statement of fact.

[QUOTE=“Cornupication, post: 198074, member: 3484”]

Also, women should be given the vote. To suggest that they don’t have the mental capacity to do so is ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

Felons and prisoners can’t vote, does that mean they then lack the mental capacity to do so?

[QUOTE=“Chrome, post: 198117, member: 3050”]Felons and prisoners can’t vote, does that mean they then lack the mental capacity to do so?[/QUOTE]
Uh…
I’m not the one saying that women don’t have the mental capacity to vote, nor did I say that certain people aren’t allowed to already because of that. So no, it doesn’t mean that.

[QUOTE=“Cornupication, post: 198120, member: 3484”]Uh…
I’m not the one saying that women don’t have the mental capacity to vote, nor did I say that certain people aren’t allowed to already because of that. So no, it doesn’t mean that.[/QUOTE]

So then if prisoners and felons have the mental capacity to vote, why shouldn’t they?

[QUOTE=“Chrome, post: 198121, member: 3050”]So then if prisoners and felons have the mental capacity to vote, why shouldn’t they?[/QUOTE]
Oh, I think they should, I’ve never argued against that. What I’m confused about is why you’ve brought up prisoners in a thread about women being allowed to vote…

[QUOTE=“Cornupication, post: 198123, member: 3484”]Oh, I think they should, I’ve never argued against that. What I’m confused about is why you’ve brought up prisoners in a thread about women being allowed to vote…[/QUOTE]

I just find it interesting that some people (not necessarily on this forum) believe that women should be able to vote because they have the mental capacity, but not prisoners and felons who also have the mental capacity to vote.

Wanted to see if you were one of those people. Glad to see you’re not. :wink:

[QUOTE=“Hedonologist, post: 198086, member: 3”]I agree with you, the same applies to women.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. I know for a fact my favorite “cartoon” character is Boba Fett, or at least used to be when I watched cartoons in my childhood/teens. I’m positive. And just because one women doesn’t know who their favorite character is consistently doesn’t mean [I]every [/I]women doesn’t. :bored:

[QUOTE=“Cierra, post: 198127, member: 4071”]I disagree. I know for a fact my favorite “cartoon” character is Boba Fett, or at least used to be when I watched cartoons in my childhood/teens. I’m positive. And just because one women doesn’t know who their favorite character is consistently doesn’t mean [I]every [/I]women doesn’t. :bored:[/QUOTE]

Really taking this cartoon analogy to a new level aren’t we.

[QUOTE=“Chrome, post: 198124, member: 3050”]I just find it interesting that some people (not necessarily on this forum) believe that women should be able to vote because they have the mental capacity, but not prisoners and felons who also have the mental capacity to vote.

Wanted to see if you were one of those people. Glad to see you’re not. ;)[/QUOTE]
I think it should be bloody obvious why that is.

[QUOTE=“Cameron, post: 198132, member: 3397”]I think it should be bloody obvious why that is.[/QUOTE]

What, prisoner’s voting?

[QUOTE=“Chrome, post: 198131, member: 3050”]Really taking this cartoon analogy to a new level aren’t we.[/QUOTE]

Yep. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=“Chrome, post: 198133, member: 3050”]What, prisoner’s voting?[/QUOTE]
Why they think women should be able to vote but why the think prisoners should not.

That point was frankly, stupid, it is obvious that the mental capacity of prisoners is irrelevant.