Situation

Hey everyone here pretty much knows im the young 16 year old member still in HS… here is my dilemma: I am a junior starting wed. aug, 3, and i am taking 2 AP (college credit) classes, 2 advanced classes, and my 2 electives are latin 2 and sociology. i have a packed schedule and i still work my ass off 25 hours a week to afford my car/insurance.gas/mods. last year when i first got my job my grades fell about 3-5 points in each class. my parents wanted me to cut back on my hours, but then i couldnt afford mods for my car, so i said i could handle it. i buckled down and managed to get 4 As, an 89 in algebra 2, and an 86 final avg in honors chemistry.

this year, however, my schedule is much harder with college classes, and i need to take the SAT 3x this year. my parents are urging me to quit my job stating that if i get straight As, they will pay for my insurance/gas. i know they wont pay for mods and cruising around, so i declined the offer. also, i want to have the pride in being able to manage time/money and pull off this job and school. i have no time at all for extracurricular clubs that colleges supposedly love. i feel that if i stick with my job, at a college interview i can say i didnt join clubs b/c i had a 25 hour/week job and still managed a 4.0 gpa. that is pretty damn impressive to me.

would you accept the parents’ offer or decline and keep your pride? i personally want to keep my job not only b/c of extra money and no burden on my parents, but also b/c i am a rebellious guy that doesnt give a shit for his community. i would be very unhappy in these clubs b/c the school system here is all about making money from clubs and giving it to sports. yes, you have to pay the school to have permission to volunteer. complete BS IMO.

i am going to be completely steadfast in my decision to keep my job, maintain atleast As/Bs in all my classes and say fuck off to extracurricular volunteering. what would you do in this situation?

none of your posts will change my mind, i have already made it. i just want to see what you would do

I would definetly decline. You will feel better about your decision in the long run. Also if you manage a 4.0 gpa they probably won’t mind the lack of extracurricular activities.

thats what i wanted to hear. i know in this day-and-age there are a ton of asians/indians who do nothing but study and do school clubs and get insane SAT scores. im not on their level. i dont have the motivation or commitment to try that hard. i want to have a life too. i should have a 4.0 even if i get Bs because the AP classes are graded on a 6.0 scale :smiley:

well, if you want to know what i think…

id also decline, cuz your working hard to get the money, and working hard to manage to get good grades too… there’s a lot of pride in that… and that is something to be respected. :rock

just try to cut back at work if you start to get overloaded. I remember in school there was alot of pressure to drop out or to slack in classes, just keep your head straight and you will do fine. :slight_smile:

i told my parents to wait until the 1st nine week period is over to see my status and if i have As/Bs i can handle it fine. i think i will just need to really try harder this year than ever before.

Well, first of all, let me just say Congratulations on getting such a good grade in Honors Chemistry. I could barely pass regular ole chemistry!
And I would just keep doing what you’re doing. You seem to have done excellent last year. So just keep your head up and think positive and you can do it. I dont even know you but you seem like such an intelligent guy that I have high hopes for ya.
You also seem like you have got great parents who are willing to help you out in any way. I would never hesitate to ask them if you ever do get in a bind.

the thing that really gets to me most is my dad. he is such an ass at times. last year when i got my final report card, i had that 86 in chemistry and he said he was dissapointed… WTF! he said i was spending all my time and money with my car and all- he basically told me it was a waste. i dont think i can forgive him for that. he has since changed his opinion (at least to my face) and understands that i could be like most of my friends and spend my money on drugs, not my car. i have interests and priorities, but most of the people close to me dont understand them. i too have ambitions and a goal in life, but it doesnt follow the path my parents want me to take. i hate when they try and impose their beliefs on me that way. i dont get good grades for fear of punishment- like my friends- i get good grades because i give a damn about my future.

Re: RE: Situation

:agree

well, only in math and autotech… 96 at2… but it were most like hobby shop stead of class :smiley:

My dad was the same way with me. He would always check my checkbook to make sure I havent bounced any checks and always doing little things like that and let me tell you it was so annoying. I felt like he was invading my privacy. But now that I have kids, I can understand why he was the way he was towards me. And to be honest, I am kinda glad he was so hard on me now that I look back on it.

i hate literature courses but i do good to make things easier for myself in the future. that is why im in AP lit for junior/senior years. that way i dont have to take a lit in my freshman/sophmore years at college

i thought about taking cal ap during senior year, but learned that one semester was just a refresh yer memory type class, and i was like fuck that…

so i dropped down to cp, and took another course… what it was i dont remember… but i did miss my french teacher, she left for something or other, and i saw her at graduation… it was good seeing her again…

i was lazy in school, and at home (homework) because i knew the stuff once taught, and was basically sitting there, waiting for the other kids to understand the topic being presented…

so, i didnt do much… im not saying i learned everything the first time through, there were some topics that took some time… but after it clicked, it stayed, and i did good on tests and shit… but the homework :owned me

If I were you, I would cut back hours at work, to maybe 15-20 hours a week, and then focus on school. You really need to put school first, because your junior year is BY FAR the most important year that you have when it comes to applying to college. Because, when you apply next fall, the admissions board won’t have any of your grades from senior year, so they look at your test scores and your grades from junior year. If you want to get into a good college, I highly suggest working hard this year. Especially in those AP classes so you can test out and get some credits early.

I know you really want to mod your stang, but you’ve got to start thinking about college and how expensive it’s going to be to survive on your own in a few years. I think any money you make working part time in HS, you should put in savings so you have money to fall back on when you get into college. I didn’t save as much as I could have, and i’m kicking myself for that now.

I know how tough it is for you though, I work 40 hours a week at Target and I’m in college full time as well, however I keep my grades up and always make Dean’s List. It’s very hard to balance both, and not a lot of people can do that. Sometimes even I get really stressed and I’ve been doing this for a couple years now.

If you dont’ think you can handle both, you really need to cut back. You’re only 16, you can depend on your parents a little bit. My dad still lends me money here and there, and I’m going to be 20 next month. Hell, my grandpa lends my dad money and he’s 56! It’s not gonna make you look stupid. Atleast I don’t think so.

My$.02

thanks for the post rach. i do need to think about college more. i can get the Hope scholarship to the University of Georgia with my grades and if i keep a 4.0 and attendence (i havent missed a day since 8th grade when i had to take every friday and monday off for BMX racing off) so i have perfect attendence, this qualifies me for the “governors scholarship” in GA where it is a free ride to any public school. my parents said they would help me out to join a fraternity for housing though (are they clueless?!) my mom said she wanted me getting the full college experience lol.

:smiley: great, now we got 2 smart cookies in the jar :smiley:

i got 300 in a savings only at ~half of a percent intrest… like maybe 30 bux in 2 years…

no, lets see, compouned daily, credited monthly… nope, i dont feel like doing that math, i never liked complex intrest and stuff…

i like things simple… like give me a credit card, and when i use it, and dont pay by the grace period, just charge a one time 10% of the newer purchases…

No problem- I’m just giving you advice from kinda what I’ve gone through. We both work a lot and try to get good grades, so I can relate to ya easily.

Sounds like you’re setup for some good scholarships. I only pay for my parking, books, and minor expenses for college. It’s definitely nice, but when you work hard, you get things in return. Just remember that.

My mom said the same thing if I wanted to join a sorority. My dad always supports me going greek because he’s a Pi Kappa Alpha, and my mom really wants me to get involved with one because of the networking and all the opportunities that come with it. She says she’d pay for all of it if I wanted to join. I simply don’t have the time though, working and all. So, maybe both our parents are crazy!

no my old man is crazy but I love the fugger…haha

No problem- I’m just giving you advice from kinda what I’ve gone through. We both work a lot and try to get good grades, so I can relate to ya easily.

Sounds like you’re setup for some good scholarships. I only pay for my parking, books, and minor expenses for college. It’s definitely nice, but when you work hard, you get things in return. Just remember that.

My mom said the same thing if I wanted to join a sorority. My dad always supports me going greek because he’s a Pi Kappa Alpha, and my mom really wants me to get involved with one because of the networking and all the opportunities that come with it. She says she’d pay for all of it if I wanted to join. I simply don’t have the time though, working and all. So, maybe both our parents are crazy![/quote]

yep, my parents said the same thing- “it’s not what you know, it’s who you know”. my dad lives by that lol. he never finished college, but he worked out of E-Z-GO golf cars down in sarasota/bradenton, FL for a while and built strong friendships with people high up in the company, then left to help start club car with some people he knew. club car became huge and he is almost up for retirement now.

Whoa, I thought you were like 17. :dunno

Anyways, man… I’m glad to hear that you are more conserned with your future than what every one else is doing. All I cared about when I was your age was drinkin beer, smoking weed & cigarettes, and tryin to get laid.

Now look at me, I’m gonna be a blue collar workin class stiff fo evah.
Unless by the grace of god I can afford to go to school and make something of myself. I would love to be a meteorologist. Maybe one day. :dunno

[quote=redsMULLT1][quote=slo6banger]
I work 40 hours a week at Target and I’m in college full time as well,

[/quote]

Whoa, I thought you were like 17. :dunno

Anyways, man… I’m glad to hear that you are more conserned with your future than what every one else is doing. All I cared about when I was your age was drinkin beer, smoking weed & cigarettes, and tryin to get laid.

Now look at me, I’m gonna be a blue collar workin class stiff fo evah.
Unless by the grace of god I can afford to go to school and make something of myself. I would love to be a meteorologist. Maybe one day. :dunno[/quote]

those are priorities as well :smiley: but i will have way much more fun in college once i get there. i am just building a good foundation for my future so i dont have to work as hard and can enjoy life as well