Third guessing yourself?!?

Ok so I ran into some dilemma here.

I lost all my jobs. I’m temping for my dad. He offered me a full time lead tech position, I didn’t think I could fill the build so I declined and wanted to look for something else.

Instantly they turned to each other and started hitting the apps for a new tech. I felt kinda crushed, but it was my own doing that made me feel that way.

Now I’m not so sure that I don’t want to do that… My mom keeps questioning me as to why not… and I seem to only have childish responses like “I don’t think I can do it” or “I can’t be like my brother”.

Well it turns out my brother wasn’t always as good as he was. He almost always called my dad (who he’s aptly named Beavis), and he needed tech support more than I imagined.

So why can’t I do it? I mean… I was on this job for two years and now another three weeks. I know how to do it, I know what I need to do to succeed in doing it… and now what? I’m left third guessing my own inadequacies.

I dunno. It hit me this morning that I liked going in to see my brother and father everyday. This morning all three of us were sitting in my dads office smoking a cigarette, drinking coffee and bullshitting in our OTS shirts. It made me feel at home, somewhat at peace. I haven’t felt at peace for almost a year and a half now… ever since I quit working for my dad.

(holy shit… that revelation JUST hit me, like as I typed it)

Un-fucking-believable, honestly… why couldn’t I be a lead tech? Granted I’m not necesarily a people person, I’m not too keen on detecting sarcasm, and on the other hand I’m not keen on detecting a serious tone. But the job opportunity is there, and all I need to do is fill in the gaps on what I’ve missed out on over the past year and a half.

Programming isn’t that hard. Learning the tricks of the trade isn’t that hard. The wiring and manual labor is FUN, not to mention educational.

I dunno. I still have my own aspirations, and I still want to be a mechanic and open my own shop. But I also want to stay and help my dad realize his dream of family ownership since 1994… even after he’s done with his rule.

I need some opinions here. Ask me some questions. Especially Booze, Chris, My man… you’ve been especially helpful with this sort of thing in the past. Any advice you could offer from the opposite end of this spectrum?

number 1: keep a cool head, usually helps people think, then when you make a decision that you will be able to live with contently (for now), then and only then, take a drink :booze

number 2: never ever close doors to anything that you think that you have a potential in… unless you hate it (i think you said you dont like working for fast food, so thats a door you can slam shut… :dunno)

number 3: get a girl that you can have fun with ( :hump ) but also, someone who you can talk to deeply about shit going on in your life…

number 4: when a job that you like doing comes along, look at it first before jumping into it. unless you need the cash now… but make sure you will not consider it “work” per-se… of course its work, but if you like doing that type of activity, it will seem more enjoyable… so it will be less stressfull…

number 5: remember, i havent had to go through everything you’ve gone through… (yet)… so maybe some stuff above will not apply to you. plus, ive never worked myself, so :dunno

[quote=2000Si]Ok so I ran into some dilemma here.

I lost all my jobs. I’m temping for my dad. He offered me a full time lead tech position, I didn’t think I could fill the build so I declined and wanted to look for something else.

Instantly they turned to each other and started hitting the apps for a new tech. I felt kinda crushed, but it was my own doing that made me feel that way.

Now I’m not so sure that I don’t want to do that… My mom keeps questioning me as to why not… and I seem to only have childish responses like “I don’t think I can do it” or “I can’t be like my brother”.

Well it turns out my brother wasn’t always as good as he was. He almost always called my dad (who he’s aptly named Beavis), and he needed tech support more than I imagined.

So why can’t I do it? I mean… I was on this job for two years and now another three weeks. I know how to do it, I know what I need to do to succeed in doing it… and now what? I’m left third guessing my own inadequacies.

[b]I dunno. It hit me this morning that I liked going in to see my brother and father everyday. This morning all three of us were sitting in my dads office smoking a cigarette, drinking coffee and bullshitting in our OTS shirts. It made me feel at home, somewhat at peace. I haven’t felt at peace for almost a year and a half now… ever since I quit working for my dad.

(holy shit… that revelation JUST hit me, like as I typed it)[/b]

Un-fucking-believable, honestly… why couldn’t I be a lead tech? Granted I’m not necesarily a people person, I’m not too keen on detecting sarcasm, and on the other hand I’m not keen on detecting a serious tone. But the job opportunity is there, and all I need to do is fill in the gaps on what I’ve missed out on over the past year and a half.

Programming isn’t that hard. Learning the tricks of the trade isn’t that hard. The wiring and manual labor is FUN, not to mention educational.

I dunno. I still have my own aspirations, and I still want to be a mechanic and open my own shop. But I also want to stay and help my dad realize his dream of family ownership since 1994… even after he’s done with his rule.

I need some opinions here. Ask me some questions. Especially Booze, Chris, My man… you’ve been especially helpful with this sort of thing in the past. Any advice you could offer from the opposite end of this spectrum?[/quote]

Sounds like you may have found your calling. It may not be what you wanted for yourself to begin with but not everything in life is planned to the t. If you enjoy the work (which it sounds like you do) and you can get along with your family (which it sounds like you can) then why not? :dunno Maybe it just took you some time away doing other things with your life to realize what really made you happy. It couldnt hurt to give it a try. Not to mention, it sounds like your family really wants you back in the bizz.

Damn James, never be affraid of jumping in the middle of a battle. It just makes you fight harder to win. Just because you don’t know programming yet, doesn’t mean you won’t be great at it. I’ve gotten to know you and your a smart guy…a little too hard headed for your own good, but smart.
Working in the Family business can get emotional at times because it’s different working with Family. But it’s so much more rewarding. When we get together on the weekends and BBQ or play poker, we always have a good work related story to laugh about. It’s so nice to be able to have that in common with your Dad and Brother and vice versa. Just make yourself a promise that you won’t bail when things get heated. Just stick them out and work through them. Good luck, I think you know what you need to do.

YOU CAN DO IT! :lol

That sounds great man, if I found something that made me feel right at home… thats where I would be. :cool

So I get back from the jobs today and they’re interviewing someone in my dad’s office. I wanted to sit down and talk to him some more… but I don’t know what kind of reaction he’d have to me saying I’m an idiot and I changed my mind…

james, I didnt read all the responses, because I have to head to bed soon, BUT… I think you can do it. If you THINK you cant, then you never will be able to. You need to be motivated to learn new things. That is what will help you succeed in life.

Re: RE: third guessing yourself?!?

He will probably be glad that you finally came to your senses.

Hey Boss, your using the the logo I made you. :rock I just noticed.
And Jimbo, your the funniest guy I know!!! :rofl

SI, let say you can’t do the job. Your dad will tell you and you go get someother job. If you can do the job, then you got a job you like. Its all up to you. What do you want?