Trump clarifies Second Amendment position

Finally something I can get behind.

Trump has updated his website with his view on the second amendment. Stricter enforcement of current laws, no new bullshit gun control laws.

[QUOTE]
The Second Amendment guarantees a fundamental right that belongs to all law-abiding Americans. The Constitution doesn’t create that right – it ensures that the government can’t take it away. Our Founding Fathers knew, and our Supreme Court has upheld, that the Second Amendment’s purpose is to guarantee our right to defend ourselves and our families. This is about self-defense, plain and simple.
[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]
Several years ago there was a tremendous program in Richmond, Virginia called Project Exile. It said that if a violent felon uses a gun to commit a crime, you will be prosecuted in federal court and go to prison for five years – no parole or early release. Obama’s former Attorney General, Eric Holder, called that a “cookie cutter” program. That’s ridiculous. I call that program a success. Murders committed with guns in Richmond decreased by over 60% when Project Exile was in place – in the first two years of the program alone, 350 armed felons were taken off the street.
[/QUOTE]

Credit where credit is due. Once you abuse your right of the second ammendment to cause harm to others who would not harm you, you lose your right. I would have to look at the statistics, but if true the program is clearly a success. If convicted felons can have the right to vote taken away, I don’t understand why the second ammendment should be treated any differently here.

The whole PDF is pretty great in my opinion, it’s pretty much exactly what I think the 2nd amendment should be like in the US.

Recognition of natural rights, and the government interprets it as a natural right, fucking awesome. Good to see that is still around.

"Defend The Rights of Law

Abiding Gun Owners
GUN AND MAGAZINE BANS.
Gun and magazine bans are a total failure. That’s been
proven every time it’s been tried. Opponents of gun rights try to come up with scary
sounding phrases like “assault weapons”, “military
style weapons” and “high capacity
magazines” to confuse people. What they’re really talking about are popular semi-
automatic rifles and standard magazines that are owned by tens of millions of
Americans. Law abiding people should be allowed to own the firearm of their choice.
The government has no business dictating what types of firearms good, honest people
are allowed to own."

Fucking hell, the truth, its golden, People in the uk and in much of europe have never heard of a pro gun argument, they are raised to be anti gun from birth in many ways. I used to be anti gun, until I educated myself on them, and almost everyone who has a gun or works with them is pro gun, my friend in the irish army even points out when we discuss politics that histeria around guns is bullshit.

That’s because in the UK and Europe that’s because gun crime is considerably lower than that in the US. In the UK 0.236 people are murdered with a gun for every million of the population, in the US this is 138x higher, with 32.57 being murdered with a gun per million of the population. While their might be an argument for being pro-gun, if it comes at an increase of gun crime to a rate like the US; it’d be idiotic to entertain the idea of allowing civilians to have guns.

The focus on this vs reguler crime is moronic, guns are legal? Of coarse more gun related crime will occur, but so does the existence of cars, increases car crime, or knife crime, or in europe trucks being used to do mass murders. Saying gun crime at this point isnt an actual argument,

I agree with you, guns being legal increases gun crime. We agree on this.

My question is, if we know it’ll increase gun crime, why allow this to happen in the first place?

Because America has this precedent and culture for guns to exist, while the U.K. doesn’t.

The SC has also ruled that the Second Amendment is not unlimited, meaning gun control is not universally unconstitutional.

When blacks are excluded from the gun crime count in America the number is roughly the same as Europe.

“If x object is legal, we know x crime will increase, so why allow this to happen in the first place?”

Edit, the securing of your democracy, restoration of your self defence rights over yourself and property, easier establishment of militia are all good reasons.

I think you vastly overestimate that mentality

Well, with exception to the swiss, serbs , czech and austrians, most european countries regulate on meaningless reasons around guns and are vehemently anti gun in politics.

And a far many people in Europe. Just because the legislation doesn’t reflect “pro-gun rights” it doesn’t mean people aren’t “pro-gun”, in this case it usually means it’s just not that important to them.

Ok?

Pro gun rights used to be the norm in much of europe until it was stripped from people, usually during war or conquest.

Thats because many live in cushy areas were the idea of having a gun isnt needed because there isnt some fucker trying to stab them or rob them,

And that is likely why they’re not that bothered. But that doesn’t mean “People in the uk and in much of europe have never heard of a pro gun argument, they are raised to be anti gun from birth in many ways”.

Actually it does, in fact in many cases they are outright lied to by the media ,

For example, watch this british journalist outright LIE about guns to his audience about fire arms, and unfortunately the guy hes talking with here cant call him out on it because many of the folks who would be watching this dont know any better and it would sound like hes bullshitting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD_-JKvSJrc&t=177s

"People in the uk and in much of europe have never heard of a pro gun argument

Again, they’re not raised to be anti-gun. They just don’t feel the need to own a gun and therefore generally only support weakly.

I think this may be one of those cultural things where you actually need to live here to actually understand the point I’m making.

In my time in school and as apart of curriculum, anti gun propaganda , and demonizing Americas second amendment is the norm (despite the right to firearms is literally how we became a country, us Ireland)