Vegi sushi/california rolls

So I’ve been craving sushi like crazy so I decided I was gonna go on a learning kick and figure out how to make it myself. It turned out so yummy. And it’s so simple.

I went with the vegi rolls to practice on because I didn’t want to be out alot of money had I bought the fish and wasted it.

The only thing I did was forgot the avacado, but that’s not a big deal. So I just used the cucumber in the roll.

I have to get a bambo mat to roll them so I can roll em tighter, but otherwise they turned out freaking yummy as heck.

All you need is nori/seaweed sheets
Sushi rice
Rice Vinegar
Sugar
Salt
cucumber
and
Avacado

Instructions for the rice and for the seasoning for the rice will typically be on the back of the bag of rice.

Mind you they don’t look as tightly rolled as if I had a mat to roll them, but they don’t look bad.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89/SheyGrl/005-13.jpg

And boy am I happy I filled that craving. OMG OMG
I love trying new things!

ACK… Now I am craving sushi!

The bamboo mat makes a huge difference.

I love doing smoked salmon and cream cheese ones

mmmm sounds lovely!

Post up any recipes you have for sushi. I’m just learning so it will be great for me to use for ideas.

I want to get fish for it the next time. The part that sucks is that I’m in the middle of the US so I definitely can’t get super fresh fish. But from what I read I can go to anywhere I know sells fish and ask if they have anything that is sashimi quality. And I’m hoping they won’t lie cuz I don’t want to get sick.

I use prawns, smoked salmon. and tinned tuna mixed with whatever I feel like

eg

tuna, black pepper, sushi mayo and a little lemon juice mixed together. then into the roll with cucunber or avocado.

The local sushi bar does Teriyaki chicken ones which are nice too

i like real sushi.

The meaning of sushi:
Cold cooked rice dressed with vinegar that is shaped into bite-sized pieces and topped with raw or cooked fish, or formed into a roll with fish, egg, or vegetables and wrapped in seaweed.

Sorry Dana that is real sushi. There are many variations of it. So not sure where your “real sushi” is coming from.

[quote=“AnitaBeer, post: 1103078”]The meaning of sushi:
Cold cooked rice dressed with vinegar that is shaped into bite-sized pieces and topped with raw or cooked fish, or formed into a roll with fish, egg, or vegetables and wrapped in seaweed.

Sorry Dana that is real sushi. There are many variations of it. So not sure where your “real sushi” is coming from.[/quote]

He was probably talking bout the chicken ones I mentioned…

Just about anything in a seaweed roll passes for “sushi” these days…its actually a Thai lady that does the chicken ones and they are YUMMO