Vote with your wallet

I am 15, so I barely buy anything.

It might be correct in a philosophical sense—depending on one’s views—but in terms of praxis it is largely irrelevant.

If one were to go to ones cupboards and fridge, what could one tell about ones family?

Depends how you want live your life

That someone’s mom is fond of the Indian store :stuck_out_tongue:

Can’t even if I wanted to. Not aware of a local supermarket that sells them. Häagen-Dazs, Alpro, Magnums and Carte d’Or are the only products stored around here. Mackie’s too, but they’re a southern company so you’re unlikely to know them. I think Yeo Valley does ice creams, or at least did in the past, and I saw them in the aisles.

Might be a regional thing.

But then to my benefit we do have probably the most gelato shops per capita in the UK. I have four gelaterias within a walk.(and a fifth being refurbished from a peacock store) About 15 in total. Which is comparable to Central London, and that’s an extreme per capita difference. Bristol twice as large but only two gelaterias.

Which means nothing if you aren’t religious. I don’t care what words someone says when my meat is prepared, I care about the taste, quality and price of the meat.

It’s no more violent than any other slaughter method. I would say it is one of the most humane ways when combined with stunning. However, if you cared about animal cruelty you would be approaching the issue from that perspective (i.e judging Halal along with all other slaughter methods according to a certain criteria, and condemning all those that fail to treat animals humanely, rather than focusing on Halal specifically).

How? Nothing about killing animals by exsanguination is foreign to these isles, it is actually how a lot of animals are killed (and have been killed historically).

Anyway, is there anything distinctively ‘British’ about keeping pigs chained together in their own filth before shooting them in the head with mechanical pistons? Or using a conveyor belt to send chickens to their doom? Cultural traditions don’t come into play here, I don’t see you advocating we go back to slaughtering pigs in Autumn or

I think the phenomenon of unlabelled Halal meat is exaggerated by the tabloid press. Manufacturers have it in their best interests to label Halal meat when they sell it, as they risk alienating all Jews/Muslims from their consumer base. Most places wouldn’t use Halal methods for no reason anyway; it is a much longer process that is difficult to incorporate into an industrial setting, so I am sceptical of claims that most meat on the shelves not only uses the method, but chooses not to disclose information that would positively effect it’s popularity. It would be like going to the effort of making sure your product was in line with fair trade standards and then not advertising that fact to your consumers.

Besides, I see no reason why a manufacturer would ever need to be legally required to disclose that information. I think they should, but only in the context of all manufactures disclosing their methods of killing, and not in the context of Halal/Kosher specifically. McDonald’s don’t make it explicit on their packaging that they chuck baby chicks in a blender to make their chicken nuggets, so why would a manufacturer that slits the throat of a chicken instead have to disclose that information? I think you are applying a double standard to Halal methods that you are not applying to all other methods of slaughter, and I don’t think you have any reason to do so.

I guess we have one thing in common. Expensive tastes?

I try to buy free range when possible, will pay more if I know something is domestic, and will avoid buying products sourced from Israel/Israeli companies when possible.

True, the ‘ethical consumption’ mantra is a middle class liberal paradox, engaging with the political sphere in the language of consumption rather than the language of capital; but in specific-issue cases like in boycotting Israeli goods, where changing consumption patterns can have a real-life impact on the world, I support it.

Yeah, that’s fair. I suppose for a lot of people, certain boycotts can be a good way of engaging with an issue politically. Especially when the topic is ‘remote’, e.g. Israel.

I never buy free range because it’s more expensive

I buy whatever is built to the higher standard, if it’s domestic or not - I’m not really bothered.

>looks at the literally two dozen packets of chicken soup bought online from an Israeli company
Well…
Looks like we don’t agree on any of these things, lol

I try to minimise consumption from companies with bad environmental records, and I’m willing to pay more for domestic but not because of a nationalistic sense of supporting domestic industry first. Instead I buy it because it’s usually nicer. I’m under no delusion that my spending patterns actually achieve much, if anything, though.

idc, I just buy whatever’s cheaper, or whatever I feel like I’m getting the most out of my money.

http://i.imgur.com/RB3m7zQ.jpg

Out of all the misery in the world, out of all the things that are happening, out of all the political gibberish, out of all wars, death, genocide, and destruction… @Cameronism gets triggered by Halal meat…

Irrationality hits a low end sometimes.