What would you do?

If John and I do get a cat, it will be an indoor cat. Should we declaw it or no? It seems kinda mean, but I don’t want my stuff scratched up.

What have or would y’all do?

We and several of us all had cats (almost all indoor) and this was a mixed question. In the end we left off with not declawing them as if they ever did get outside they would need a way do defend themselves. that and it also makes bathtime interesting.

Of course it does have its negatives

yes. leave the back claws tho. just do the front claws. as a kid we had a cat that dint get de clawed and it destroyed lots of furniture

I had a few cats a while back & they weren’t declawed. They tore the shit outa any decent furniture in the place. It’s what they have to do in order to keep the claws sharp & trimmed so they don’t get infected from too much growth. I tried a scratching post but, they’d gotten so used to using the side of the couch that they refused to use it.

Unless you can get them used to the idea of teh scratching post BEFORE they start on other furniture, I’d suggest having it declawed.

:homo:

Keeping the back claws gives them a way to defend themselves if they ever do go outside. So yea declaw the cat, but just the front ones.

why do i got to be a homo. huh?? lol :stuck_out_tongue:

As long as its an INSIDE cat, then yes, get it declawed. I did it to mine. You gotta remember they like to scratch things and unless you want your walls or carpet scratched at constantly, get him/her declawed.

You do it so well? :smiley: lol

Mmm, I probably wouldn’t. Can we just have them filed down a bit at first till it’s used to being at home?

[quote=“Tyler Durden, post: 1099666”]Mmm, I probably wouldn’t. Can we just have them filed down a bit at first till it’s used to being at home?[/quote]I think you actually can have that done.

A friend of mine has a few cats & I think he had that done to his just so they wouldn’t ruin the furniture.

I didn’t know declawing a cat was an option, we didn’t get our cat declawed and she’s fine. But then again she uses the fence outside to sharpen her claws.

If your cats a kitten I reakon if you train them to use a scratching post it should be ok. I guess it depends on if, when you say it’ll be an indoor cat, if that means the cat will never go outside, or if you mean you don’t make it stay out all night but it can still go out when it wants to and come back in when it wants to

[quote=“Laurs, post: 1099668”]I didn’t know declawing a cat was an option, we didn’t get our cat declawed and she’s fine. But then again she uses the fence outside to sharpen her claws.

If your cats a kitten I reakon if you train them to use a scratching post it should be ok. I guess it depends on if, when you say it’ll be an indoor cat, if that means the cat will never go outside, or if you mean you don’t make it stay out all night but it can still go out when it wants to and come back in when it wants to[/quote]This.

[quote=“Laurs, post: 1099668”]I didn’t know declawing a cat was an option, we didn’t get our cat declawed and she’s fine. But then again she uses the fence outside to sharpen her claws.

If your cats a kitten I reakon if you train them to use a scratching post it should be ok. I guess it depends on if, when you say it’ll be an indoor cat, if that means the cat will never go outside, or if you mean you don’t make it stay out all night but it can still go out when it wants to and come back in when it wants to[/quote]

It’ll be completely indoors.

I’m only asking because I googled it, and the first page that popped up had some images of how they do it. It’s not just the nail, it’s the equivalent of us having the whole tips of our fingers cut off. It said the cats use their nails when they walk and if they are declawed, then they have balance issues and it hurts their backs. And they have to use their feet when they recover, even if it hurts really bad. :frowning:

Obviously, it was an anti-declawing site, but it still bothered me. The kittens are already about a month old and we would have to wait another 3 or 4 weeks to get him.

Mrs. Guyzerr and myself have had cats for at least 20 years and have never had them declawed. We think it’s cruel and wouldn’t consider it. The cats are always indoors and we’ve never had a piece of furniture wrecked. Get 'em a scratching pole and teach 'em from a very young age what it’s for.

I had my cat’s front claws removed. We had a baby in the house and I found the necessity, out weighed the risk. Leaving the back claws is a good thing, in case the cat does get outside… it can still defend itself with it’s back feet.

All of our cats are declawed in the front. We tried the scratching post but most of them were older strays who never used one before and weren’t about to start. We have yet to have any lasting problems (balance, back, or otherwise) with ours. But since you’re getting a kitten, I would start with a scratching post.

Good point. One of our cats was really aggressive and I can’t imagine what it would have been like if she had her front claws. She left scars on my sister’s stomach using her back legs.

de-clawing a cat is like clipping a birds wings…its cruel and barbaric

That qualifies as the post of the day. :clap

Clipping a bird’s wings is a matter of safety, as can declawing a cat.