Whatcha think?

whatcha think about me going to meineke or a muff shop and throwing out 40 bucks to get them to cut out my stock cats (4 by headers- 2 on each side) and welding in straight pipe?

i know i will have less low end backpressure and the exhaust will smell bad, but i want it to be louder than my current magnaflow cat back…

[quote=AtlanticBlue99]whatcha think about me going to meineke or a muff shop and throwing out 40 bucks to get them to cut out my stock cats (4 by headers- 2 on each side) and welding in straight pipe?

i know i will have less low end backpressure and the exhaust will smell bad, but i want it to be louder than my current magnaflow cat back…[/quote]

Just have them cut out your Mufflers. You will need the cats for your OB sensors. Ohterwise you will get the service light and your Maf will not work properly. Could definitley effect the performance of your engine.

My 89 gt runs with no mufflers, just the cats. Loud !!! and I get good back pressure. I will eventually install long tube headers and eliminate 2 cats. Leaving 2 down by the H pipe. LOUDER

well i could wire up my own MIL eliminators (bypass the after-cat O2 sensor to ignore any messages… either way it will cost about the same to cut out either the muffs (magnaflows) or the cats.

so you suggest running cats with no muffs (i will keep backpressure- thats a plus, and it wont smell horrible) does anyone else have opinions on cut out muffs or cats?

i have a v6, you think it will sound good without muffs? i want a throatier sound and a louder idle (sort of what a boat sounds like- my dad has a ski nautique with a 351 cleveland in it- sounds awesome :rock )

Re: RE: whatcha think?

[quote=AtlanticBlue99]well i could wire up my own MIL eliminators (bypass the after-cat O2 sensor to ignore any messages… either way it will cost about the same to cut out either the muffs (magnaflows) or the cats.

so you suggest running cats with no muffs (i will keep backpressure- thats a plus, and it wont smell horrible) does anyone else have opinions on cut out muffs or cats?

i have a v6, you think it will sound good without muffs? i want a throatier sound and a louder idle (sort of what a boat sounds like- my dad has a ski nautique with a 351 cleveland in it- sounds awesome :rock )[/quote]

a 351c in a boat or ski or whatever… :gears on water

well boats are heavy (it is a sport nautique/ski nautique- ski boat) and water creates more frictional drag then asphalt, especially considering the amount of surface area the boat touches water vs. tires touching pavement. the boat tops out at 47 mph.

I think you should use that $40 for something more productive.

Like buying me a 2 year supply of Kool-Aid.

I’ll love you forever
(Don’t tell Chris I said that. I won’t get any for a month)

40 dollars for a 2yr supply of koolaid? what do you sip the shit mixed with a 1:15 mixture of vodka?

after reading lemon’s post, i guess you were using some of your cynical sarcasm :dunno

its only 40 bucks. insurance is due tomorow and i get my paycheck. i feel like blowing some while i set aside my 100 a week for my spring install and wheels/tires bank…

dont take off the mufflers. you have a V6. it will sound like poo. just take off the cats or buy an off road H pipe if you have true dual exhaust. or get an shop to custom make you a Y pipe with no cats if you dont have true dual exhaust.

thats what i want to do. for 40 bucks, meineke can cut out my cats and put straight pipe, then i have to bypass the electrical in the O2 sensor to keep service engine light off.

but… i had an exhaust leak a few months ago where a weld broke in front of my first cat pass. side. i loved the idle sound of an unmuffled exhaust- even on a 6er. but it smelled horrible and the service engine light came on until my uncle and i welded it back up.

so i hate the smell of no cats- thats where horseshoeing’s no muff idea got me hooked. it would be louder at all rpms and better idle sound. i know with magnaflows you dont have any sound basically til over 2k rpms.

No, Atlantic. I’m just REALLY in need of some kool-aid and you mentioned moola. I live with 3 kids who drink it like it was going out of style, so we go through about a gallon a day.

How 'bout y’all just bring me some.

how about he buys us each a 1 year supply of kool aid…

sounds good to me… :dunno

bring you koolaid? go to the meet in october at joe and v’s place and ill be sure to pick up some koolaid

Do you really think that I’m driving my happy ass ALL the way to Georgia?? Heck no. It’s 11 hours from here to my dad’s house, and he lives on the border of AL and GA. That drive sucks big time.

wel, no koolaid then… ill be there for sure. its a 4 hour drive i think for me (across state)

going to mustang week at myrtle beach in july?

i might show up, havent decided…

yea im going down there- i dont have a hotel or anyhting but ill day trip it… i want to go the cruise day from the mall down there.

I think I’ll just stay in LA.

Unless…

SOMEONE WANTS TO FLY ME OUT THERE :smiley: :wink

[quote=ProjectMayhem]I think I’ll just stay in LA.

Unless…

SOMEONE WANTS TO FLY ME OUT THERE :smiley: :wink[/quote]

how much it cost to go to charleston, sout carolina from there?

charleston kicks ass