Why Shouldn't Children Vote?

Children do not have the same social responsibilities as adults, and so should not have a say in who governs.

[QUOTE=“Jamietuts, post: 406186, member: 3675”]As the title states - I’m interested to see what your reasonings are.

As the strange person I am, I’m pretty much against democracy. However, if it is to be used, I see a minimum voting age as unnecessary.

I’ll (attempt to) counter all arguments in favour of a minimum voting age should they be put forward.[/QUOTE]

Children should not be allowed to vote because they are dumb when it comes to politics and social issues, plus they have no experience

[QUOTE=“Jamietuts, post: 406190, member: 3675”]1. Evidence pls
2. If the political system started giving more weight to a family of five than to a family of two, it would be more sensible.[/QUOTE]
No it would not, for the same reason

[QUOTE=“Jamietuts, post: 406186, member: 3675”]As the title states - I’m interested to see what your reasonings are.

As the strange person I am, I’m pretty much against democracy. However, if it is to be used, I see a minimum voting age as unnecessary.

I’ll (attempt to) counter all arguments in favour of a minimum voting age should they be put forward.[/QUOTE]

Because they’re too young to understand the decision they’re making.

this has surely gotta be dumbest thread of the week , I mean why don’t goats vote, or how about the pigeons in the park…

To all of those who are opposed to children voting, do you honestly think that voting rights are based on knowledge and competency?

life experience, status, legal consent etc…all are factors - and all things that kids don’t have

Kids won’t understand the issues they’re voting for and it will mean parents can just use their kids to gain extra votes for their cause. This effect will not cancel out as some demographics have more kids than others, e.g. Catholics and Muslims

Some children wouldn’t be physically able to vote. The rest are too ill-informed i.e. don’t get a sufficient chance to make a rational judgement on who to vote for.

The Labour Party Manifesto:

1. Destroy the Economy
  2. Spend too much
  3. No Homework
  4. Santa Claus gets you everything on your Christmas Wishlist

^^ In this alternate reality, Jeremy Corbyn might just get elected…

So a day old baby should have the vote? A minimum needs to be introduced somewhere.

[QUOTE=“John, post: 406658, member: 5914”]The Labour Party Manifesto:

1. Destroy the Economy
  2. Spend too much
  3. No Homework
  4. Santa Claus gets you everything on your Christmas Wishlist

^^ In this alternate reality, Jeremy Corbyn might just get elected…[/QUOTE]

That’s an absolute load of rubbish and even you know it. No political party could feasibly destroy the economy. Corbyn is espousing views that were right wing for a Labour party in the 60s and the economy wasn’t destroyed then.

[QUOTE=“TheLlama, post: 406680, member: 2562”]That’s an absolute load of rubbish and even you know it. No political party could feasibly destroy the economy. Corbyn is espousing views that were right wing for a Labour party in the 60s and the economy wasn’t destroyed then.[/QUOTE]

I love how you actually take that post seriously. I truly believe that Corbyn doesn’t want to destroy the economy, but I believe his policies are too outdated for a globalised economy. I believe he would do so believing he was doing the right thing. But this is not the thread to post your political ideology, I was simply using that [partly as a joke] to show what parties could do to get a child’s vote.

[QUOTE=“TheLlama, post: 406678, member: 2562”]So a day old baby should have the vote? A minimum needs to be introduced somewhere.[/QUOTE]

That’s a pretty poor argument, considering a baby wouldn’t be able to pick up a pencil to vote. The minimum, unofficially, would be their ability to do so.

[QUOTE=“John, post: 406685, member: 5914”]I love how you actually take that post seriously. I truly believe that Corbyn doesn’t want to destroy the economy, but I believe his policies are too outdated for a globalised economy. I believe he would do so believing he was doing the right thing. But this is not the thread to post your political ideology, I was simply using that [partly as a joke] to show what parties could do to get a child’s vote.

That’s a pretty poor argument, considering a baby wouldn’t be able to pick up a pencil to vote. The minimum, unofficially, would be their ability to do so.[/QUOTE]

It’s not a poor argument because you’re now accepting that the ability to do so is essential. A 4 year old is completely unable to understand voting and on average, more 4 year olds will not understand voting than do. This is compared to 18 year olds who on average more understand voting than don’t.

[QUOTE=“TheLlama, post: 406688, member: 2562”]It’s not a poor argument because you’re now accepting that the ability to do so is essential.[/QUOTE]

It is a poor argument. Just because you don’t have the ability to do something, doesn’t mean you should be restricted from doing so. A one day old would never be able to hand money over the counter and buy their own sweets, yet legally they are perfectly able to. If, in some extremely rare incident, a one day old child was able to do so, they couldn’t be refused service. Similar to a non-voting age; If, in some extremely rare incident, a one year old child was able to do so, they would do so - chances are it would never happen.

[QUOTE=“TheLlama, post: 406688, member: 2562”]A 4 year old is completely unable to understand voting and on average, more 4 year olds will not understand voting than do. This is compared to 18 year olds who on average more understand voting than don’t.[/QUOTE]

This is an argument, however. And they wouldn’t have to understand voting, they could let their parents vote on their behalf by proxy. It means everyone, in the country, would have a vote. There would be absolutely no discrimination.

[QUOTE=“Jamietuts, post: 406186, member: 3675”]I’m pretty much against democracy[/QUOTE]

Libertarian
Against people voting

Children are, effectively, secondary citizens. They are under the care of their parents and rely on their parents for more or less everything; they are [I]not[/I] productive members of society and therefore do not deserve a say in how society is run - that is the job of their parents, who will hopefully take into account their child when deciding how to vote. Once the child is mature enough and appropriately educated, then they may vote.

The ability of some adults to possibly manipulate their children into voting for X choice risks giving some individuals more than one vote. Not all parents would do this, but it’s a risk that could damage our democracy. On top of this the [I]vast majority [/I]of children lack the cognitive functions to make an informed decision on voting, and by the time they start to develop these functions they then need to mature as individuals. I do believe that by the time individuals are 18 they are more mature and well-informed than they would otherwise be. Even those who have been politically active for some time will most likely have a more developed world view by this point. I know for a fact that my political views have changed since I was 16 years old, if only because I have matured and experienced things that have helped me become a young adult. I wouldn’t want a 16 year old me – or younger – voting.

[QUOTE=“Modern Gladstone, post: 406501, member: 3622”]To all of those who are opposed to children voting, do you honestly think that voting rights are based on knowledge and competency?[/QUOTE]

Ideally they should be. However, we have voting rights for those who are uneducated because of two things:

1. They pay taxes
  2. They serve in the military

If anything voting should be means tested to incentivize becoming informed before marking a ballot.

Fight me @Jamietuts