Would you ever disown a member of your family?

Whether its a parent, sibling, child of yours, anyone- would you ever disown someone in your family? If so, what would they have to do for you to disown them?

It’s a definite maybe for me the limits of which could involve murder and terrorism. I’d disown a member of my family if they ever did something vile or completely immoral like murder so yes but I’ll never disown them just because they’re gay or they’re against my religion because that’s just basically being human. Love above all things my friends.

I wouldn’t disown a member of my family because their religious views are different or because of their sexual orientation. Since people make mistakes even if they committed a crime I still wouldn’t disown them. There was a time I’d never forgive anyone who betrayed me but I’ve come to learn forgiveness so even if they betray me, I guess I would eventually forgive them.

There’s one thing I’ll not forgive though. Should a family member molest a child then I’ll disown them. Kids are dear to me and anyone who hurts them is my enemy for life.

It really depends. I would if the person sexually abuses a child. I don’t have a whole lot of reasons to disown somebody, but child molestation is a definite one. Murder, stealing, religion, sexual orientation, that doesn’t matter to me. Rape a child? And you are gone.

I don’t think I would disown any member of my family regardless of their actions. I could consider loving them from afar, depending on their particular transgression, and even then I could never totally cut them off. Everyone needs to have someone to put faith in, evenif they feel they have failed them in some way.

In all honesty I think that disowning a family member is quite simply the most outrageous thing anyone can do. I mean what gives a person the right to judge someone for the things they do and then take that a reason for disowning them, there are no believable reasons you can give someone that would back up such a thing. Love is supposed to be about acceptance and finding a way for all of us to cope with the things that life throws at us. I believe that by disowning someone you are losing someone you can rely on or that would represent a great asset on a future endeavours.

I’ve thought about this before, and my answer is a resounding yes. My parents were terrible, and not only were they terrible but they never leave me alone. They always eventually find me for whatever it is they want. Now, as for other members, it really depends on what it is, but if it’s bad enough, absolutely.

[QUOTE=KittenErnst]

Whether its a parent, sibling, child of yours, anyone- would you ever disown someone in your family? If so, what would they have to do for you to disown them?

[/QUOTE]
I think I probably could if what they did was “bad enough”… I guess that applies to whether you’re taking about legally disowning (writing out of will, removing from bank accounts, etc. or just basically ignoring them forever.

It would have to be something really bad, though… because I have some family members who would definitely qualify to be disowned in some people’s eyes, but I still have contact, and still get along just fine with them. :smiley:

I actually wanted to do this in case of my grandfather but it is too expensive. That is the man who had me out of my house, threaten me he was going to kill me and he cut my water supply in the end. He did a lot more and he certainly deserved to be disowned. A bad person overall and now he is demented and sick and no one is there to help him. Guess who is helping him? Yeah.

I disowned my whole family :slight_smile: it was a gradual thing… I simply moved away for college and then gradually stopped going back. I really had nothing in common and it was always ackward. They live in a small, poor community and have no intellectual curiosity or aspirations outside of what is on TV. :slight_smile: I am a prude.

Disown them. What the heck would that accomplish? I don’t own anything, they wouldn’t inherit a damn thing if I died, what’s there to disown them from? :stuck_out_tongue:

Would I shun someone in my family or otherwise pretend I don’t know them? I have no idea. I’ve never been in that position and I can’t imagine what I’d actually do or how that would punish them.

That being said there are several members of my extended family who aren’t allowed in my home, they just don’t know that’s the case. They never get invited, though, so maybe they do know and I just think I’m sneakier than I am, lol.

I already disowned (dislike and will never truly like again) my 13 year old boy cousin. And I don’t really care about my other two boy cousins in my house either. It’s not because they cuss, spit on the floor and/or where people need to walk, and stand in the way all the time. Well, it’s all that and more. I see them as competition now. I’m smarter than them, so naturally I should have a better job and overall life than them. I’m a good person, I deserve it. Anyway, I dislike the youngest brat (13 the same one as before) the most because he stole from my sister and aunt and his [B]own [/B]sister (all 3 boys do this), looked in my fridge when he thought I wasn’t looking (We weren’t that close to begin with; he shouldn’t be doing that.), and wiped mucus on our furniture.

There are a few family members I’ve actually already distanced myself from. I wouldn’t say it was disowning them or anything of that nature, but super low contact. Of course in abusive situations or dangerous situations involving illegal activities it’s usually wise to cut connections with that person. If you truly care about them of course it’s important to help them, but if they’re awful to you as well it’s best to get your stuff together and get out while you can.

[QUOTE=Sterlingjay0123]

There are a few family members I’ve actually already distanced myself from. I wouldn’t say it was disowning them or anything of that nature, but super low contact. Of course in abusive situations or dangerous situations involving illegal activities it’s usually wise to cut connections with that person. If you truly care about them of course it’s important to help them, but if they’re awful to you as well it’s best to get your stuff together and get out while you can.

[/QUOTE]I’ve done this too. Most of my family members are pretty crazy and always been abusive, and so I’ve long since distanced myself from it. It became more about whether or not I would deal with the abuse, and it’s been incredibly dangerous before, so I just couldn’t do it anymore.

I have no doubt that it could be done. I would have to say, from personal expeirence, that it would have to involve something so terrible that being the Christian woman I am, there would be no room for forgiveness. To this day, I can not even imagine what would cause this type of incident to have to disown my family or a memeber of it. I feel that if your family doesn’t have your back, then no one will. I try to look at each situation and put myself into it to see both sides of it. But there are some things in this world that is not forgivable. I would have to say I will always have my children’s back no matter what they do in their life.

I actually haven’t disowned any family of mine. I guess that’s something I can’t even think of doing. Family is family, no matter what they’ve done or said. So no matter how many times they’ve hurt me, blood is still blood. I think the relationship won’t ever be the same but I won’t go as far as not talking to them or disowning them.

If my son ever did something so bad, like take drugs or do some crimes (please no), I will still forgive him and love him. I won’t ever not love him, that’s the thing with being a mom. You might be hurt, but at the end of the day, you’d still miss and think of your child.

If my mom or sister did something that hurt me, I will still love them. They say that you should love them more even if it hurts. Because that’s when you prove that love is bigger than your pride or their wrongdoings.

I can’t disown a member of my own family. But this is limited to members of my nuclear family. I do concur that some people in our families can be incredibly wicked. Too bad that we don’t get to choose our family members. But stoicism and prayer are needed. Looking at the bigger picture is the key.

I don’t think I would disown any member of my family but I would stay away or avoid them until they repent from their wayward ways. There are limits to holding onto a family member and they tend to take you for granted most times. I do not appreciate family members who go behind your back to plot against you and then come back later as if they did nothing wrong; I wouldn’t want to associate with such people but rather keep them at arms length.

For me the answer to this question is actually quite simple. The only situation in which I would end up disowning a member of my family is if they did something absolutely terrible which destroyed the family. In that case the only way to save the family is to get rid of the poison that is trying to destroy it.

I wouldn’t disown a family member. There’s a point where you can disagree with someone and not have the same beliefs, but to disown someone is over the line.