WTF is up with music in restaurants?

Does anyone have a friggin’ clue as to why restaurants find it necessary to play music while you’re eating?

I mean, I can understand the live Mariachi bands at authentic Mexican places - that’s kind of cool. Or the opera singers at some Italian places.

But other than that, I don’t want to have to listen to crappy pop muzak while I’m trying to enjoy my motherflippin’ lunch or dinner or whatnot! :rant:

So anyway, is it just me? Am I the lone nut case who has a problem with this?

I guess I’ve never really paid attention to most places before cuz it’s pretty quiet.

One place though that drove me nuts was this place called Texas Roadhouse. They played their music a lil too loud. I can understand turning it up after dinner rush and everything, but not during.

[quote=“canidae, post: 1083101”]Does anyone have a friggin’ clue as to why restaurants find it necessary to play music while you’re eating?

I mean, I can understand the live Mariachi bands at authentic Mexican places - that’s kind of cool. Or the opera singers at some Italian places.

But other than that, I don’t want to have to listen to crappy pop muzak while I’m trying to enjoy my motherflippin’ lunch or dinner or whatnot! :rant:

So anyway, is it just me? Am I the lone nut case who has a problem with this?[/quote]

It’s there for some back ground noise.

Mehh, I work at Cracker Barrel, so as far as annoying restaurant music goes, I think we’re in the top 5.

However, when I go out, I don’t really notice it.
That, or it’ll be something really poppy and I do a little dance in my seat and chew to the beat.
Either way, doesn’t bother me. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“daniellllleee, post: 1083104”]Mehh, I work at Cracker Barrel, so as far as annoying restaurant music goes, I think we’re in the top 5.

However, when I go out, I don’t really notice it.
That, or it’ll be something really poppy and I do a little dance in my seat and chew to the beat.
Either way, doesn’t bother me. :P[/quote]

OOOOoo I forgot all about Cracker Barrel. I remember their crappy music, but it’s been years since I’ve been in that place.

Cracker Barrel plays music?

I don’t think I’ve ever noticed anywhere except our Burger King and that’s because the radio station they play always seems to play a song that I can relate to 100% at that moment.

Yeah… I dunno what the deal is. Of course I did go to a Perkins that had an alternative station on… and of course I sort of dug it. :smiley:

Probably for ambience. Could you imagine how boring a place would feel if it were not busy and completely silent?

Popeye’s plays jazz

[quote=“canidae, post: 1083101”]Does anyone have a friggin’ clue as to why restaurants find it necessary to play music while you’re eating?
snip:
So anyway, is it just me? Am I the lone nut case who has a problem with this?[/quote]

I don’t know why they do it in restaurants – maybe they want you to eat fast and get out of there so they can serve more people, I have asked them to TURN IT DOWN. Some places (like my mom’s doc’s office) plays rock muzac and its loud and terrible. His patients are all over 75.

I know they use muzac in the work place to motivate employees. Fast in the AM, a bit slower but not much in the midafternnon and then Fast again before closing time.

It’s terribly annoying to me.

naw I don’t pay no mind…

My buddies and I usually go for a meal every wednesday, alternating between an India place and a Chinese place. I can’t remember if the chinese plays music but the Indian plays this truly terrible ambiance music, I love it. Especially because the restaurant is quite classy whereas my friends and I are loud and talk about the most disgusting and disturbing things. This doesn’t matter very much because they always put us on the same tabel away from the other diners and we aren’t rude, just innapropriate. The music is so terrible that it becomes a talking point.

I think they play fast paced music to get you to eat quicker to turn more tables.